Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused no one told me.....

I decided to go to school and get trained in HVAC. My intention was to start my own business. By the way, I live in Ohio. My class was 9 months long and I did this at night while working a full time job during the day... Whenever I mentioned starting my own business, my instructors would say...well you ought to get some experience working for someone else for a while.... or ...there is a lot to running your own company...
    I had seen license numbers on various vans around town, so I figured I would need a state license, but I was shocked when I found out I needed 5 yrs. verifiable experience with another contractor before I could even sit down to take the state license test... I can't believe that was never brought up at the beginning of the class. Now I am looking for a job to get my 5 yrs. in, but all I see is contractor's wanting experienced installers... does anyone hire entry level? Or does anyone hire part time workers?

Well, I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but in this trade you need some experience before you should start your own company. It's a given you'll screw up and make mistakes when you start doing this kind of work. It's better to let someone else pay for your mistakes rather than take the hit yourself. Might mean a short check if you were for yourself, or it could very well put you out before you even had much chance to get started.

As for getting hired part time, it might happen from time to time, but it's pretty unlikely. With the expense of getting a van, stocking it with tools and parts, it gets to be too much money to just let sit for part of a day.

It's not just this trade that expects guys to have 15 years of experience when they were born. Welders, plumbers, carpenters... all companies want someone who has experience so they won't cost the company money, but yet expect to pay entry level wages so they can make even more. Just a fact of business. Keep looking though, you'll find something if you stay determined.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Thanks... I will keep looking! In the mean time I will keep reviewing what I learned in school and finish taking the NATE tests.... I have seen several companies asking that people be NATE certified before they will hire them...

You need to lean a lot before going it on your own. 9 months of school is barely a start. a lot of the Guys have a 2 yr degree in HVAC and they come out only ready to start work with more training.

Be patients get some experience and after about 3 years get some business management class.

You got a dream it takes time and training to make it a reality.

hang in there you got a lot to learn with the right commitment and audited you'll get there.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by captainblackii View Post
    I decided to go to school and get trained in HVAC. My intention was to start my own business. By the way, I live in Ohio. My class was 9 months long and I did this at night while working a full time job during the day... Whenever I mentioned starting my own business, my instructors would say...well you ought to get some experience working for someone else for a while.... or ...there is a lot to running your own company...
    I had seen license numbers on various vans around town, so I figured I would need a state license, but I was shocked when I found out I needed 5 yrs. verifiable experience with another contractor before I could even sit down to take the state license test... I can't believe that was never brought up at the beginning of the class. Now I am looking for a job to get my 5 yrs. in, but all I see is contractor's wanting experienced installers... does anyone hire entry level? Or does anyone hire part time workers?
    were in Ohio and were did you go to school
    Semper Fi

I live in Lexington (near Mansfield). I went to school at Ashland-West Holmes Career Center.

Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    You need to lean a lot before going it on your own. 9 months of school is barely a start. a lot of the Guys have a 2 yr degree in HVAC and they come out only ready to start work with more training.

Be patients get some experience and after about 3 years get some business management class.

You got a dream it takes time and training to make it a reality.

hang in there you got a lot to learn with the right commitment and audited you'll get there.
    I feel the same way. I am in school right now at nights and have seen nothing but 3-5 years experience please on all open job posts but i am determined to find something. my friend found a job right out of school doing industrial and is now being trained on controls and loves it, he was in the right place at the right time and it has worked out great.

I also am wanting to take business management courses.

Does anyone see a plus side to getting a 4 year mechanical engineering degree in place of or in addition to the hvac degree?

Quote Originally Posted by captainblackii View Post
    My intention was to start my own business.
    How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    I feel the same way. I am in school right now at nights and have seen nothing but 3-5 years experience please on all open job posts but i am determined to find something. my friend found a job right out of school doing industrial and is now being trained on controls and loves it, he was in the right place at the right time and it has worked out great.

I also am wanting to take business management courses.

Does anyone see a plus side to getting a 4 year mechanical engineering degree in place of or in addition to the hvac degree?
    Yes it gives you far more Job opportunities you can get then get your PE as well.
    If you help others then you are a Success

lot of us Ohio guys on here

The market in ohio really stinks. That is because of our relation ship to the automive market.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kajer View Post
    The market in ohio really stinks. That is because of our relation ship to the automive market.
    That and we just now got some heat.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

my auto friends are doin 12's since the cash for clunkers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast