New Vertical Geo Loop

Here's the deal just installed a new 4 ton FHP Aquarious II unit. 4 vertical wells 200' each. The well guy backfilled with # 9 washed stone. I started the unit on Wednesday and My EWT is already at 85 degrees. I don't think the gravel works, unless it's a flooded well.

Anyone with help I'd appreciate it. After spending that much for the top of the line unit. I think it should work better. I was thinking I should have more like 65-70 EWT. Central, KY area, ground temp is approx 55-58 degrees

Here we go again!!

Please read the entire "water temp" thread. I think your questions , and concerns, will be answered.

Bergy

we use a grout and fill the bore holes. not sure what the wash stone is all about. the grout we use moves heat very well regardless of water present or not.

dwayne:

Read Bergy's reply. Follow his advice. I'm 2500 miles away, but I think you're in deep poop. I'm curious:

Is your heating contractor "helping" with this problem?

Who hired / supervised the well driller?

Did you buy the FHP equipment off the internet?

dwayne:

Read Bergy's reply. Follow his advice. I'm 2500 miles away, but I think you're in deep poop. I'm curious:

Is your heating contractor "helping" with this problem?

Who hired / supervised the well driller?

Did you buy the FHP equipment off the internet?

Geo

I'm actually an HVAC tech, work for one of the top 10 commercial/industrial contractors in the country. I ordered the unit from one of our vendors.

I'm still having problems, I supervised the drilling myself, I wanted grout but they said gravel was just as good. What a joke. I will accept gravel, but they are going to have to guarantee that the unit will operate within FHP's EER specs. etc. It's working great today, of course it's 70 outside and my loop is still 75.

I researched this for months before deciding to go Geo. I'm almost wishing I would have gotten the new 20 SEER Trane instead, No mess in the yard, and it would have worked.

The FHP unit will work fine when connected to a proper loop. You are right about gravel working well in a flooded well. But in a drier hole, you have limited contact between the loop and the ground. Also, you end up with a lot of air spaces. Air, as you know, is an excellent insulater.

If you asked the well driller for grout, but they installed gravel and guaranteed that it would work as well, I'd look to them to replace the loops. Hopefully, they won't get amnesia about your conversations. Best of luck.

can you get access to the top of the bore hole and try adding water? this will tell you if you have a poor connection to the earth or some other problem
    Dewayne Dean

www.palacegeothermal.com

See my live system data here:

We Heat and Cool with Dirt

Water

Funny you mention that, I've thought about doing that. I've got the loop layout and am seriously considering doing it.