Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IQ Drives?

IQ Drives?

These a/c and heat pumps have been around in the US for a few years and overseas alot longer. Are they worth looking into? Are they really quiet and efficient? Are they really as bad as the competition says they are?

Quote Originally Posted by x_filed View Post
    These a/c and heat pumps have been around in the US for a few years and overseas alot longer. Are they worth looking into? Are they really quiet and efficient? Are they really as bad as the competition says they are?
    The reason they have been overseas for a long time (for about 15-18 years) is because the cost of energy is much higher around the rest of the world and in many places there are strict sound level limitations. We will eventually catch up to the of the world.

The inverter technology used to operate the compressor is well proven and Nordyne, through its IQ Drive system (it uses a Panasonic compressor), is just the first US manufacturer to start down this path. It probably won't take long for several of the others to follow. With the compressor having a wide range of output, it can almost constantly be heating or cooling the structure at the same rate it is gaining or losing heat. This allows for a very comfortable indoor environment. And the inverter systems operate more efficiently.

The only thing the IQ system does not have is the ability to connect multiple indoor air handlers to one outdoor unit making zoning really simple. All the Asian manufacturers of these types of systems have that benefit. The capacity of the outdoor unit actually increases when the number of indoor units increases.

These systems are more technologically more advance. There will always be some who are afraid of advancement and will talk it down.

Quote Originally Posted by x_filed View Post
    Are they really as bad as the competition says they are?
    Well, if you consider it bad that it is the most efficient air to air system available, is among the quietest systems available, has unrivaled humidity control, is able to adjust its capacity to meet changing loads, and has a warranty that is among the best in the industry, then yeah, IQ drive systems are pretty horrible.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Maytag nuff said
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

The poor ol' XV1500, never is remembered.

Didn't Carrier have a VS compressor too?

I dont think carrier has one, so far american standard and maytag/westinghouse for resi. Unless someone wants a mini split yuck.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

American Standard never had one, just the Trane XV1500.

Actually Carrier did. Found info on the 38YV that said it had an ECM compressor motor. They also had the HydroTech 2000, with VS compressor and built in desuperheater. One of the 3 piece designs from the 90s. They said it had impressive ratings. 13.85 & 14.05 SEER!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

Actually Carrier did. Found info on the 38YV that said it had an ECM compressor motor. They also had the HydroTech 2000, with VS compressor and built in desuperheater. One of the 3 piece designs from the 90s. They said it had impressive ratings. 13.85 & 14.05 SEER!
    American standard doesn't have on? I thought i just saw one ion their showroom, and i just signed as a dealer. I will check and let you know, it may be a 2 stage etc.

Yep you are correct Lonnie, its a 2 stage 20 seer, i just glanced at it and with the mass of wires and boards and the 20 seer rating thought it was, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

Thanks for sharing this information Baldloonie!

Any quizzes this year?

About how much should a 4 ton heat pump and air handler installation cost?

We don't discuss prices here, Please read site rules, Thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast