Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shattered wrist questions, on the job

Thank you for the advice guys. I'm removing my post because I don't know who from my company is on the site, and would not want the details of this to be used against me down the road. Thanks again, Tim
    Last edited by nesc522; 08-08-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: grammer

I forgot to ad, at this point I'm disgusted with management here. Its to bad, I enjoy the work, and am happy with my salary, but
    Last edited by nesc522; 08-08-2009 at 09:29 AM.

funny how things go south when you get hurt!
    Funny how you can be the best thing to happen t them since sliced bread until you get hurt! Then its your a worthless POS and we will show you why!
    SO what if you hurt your wrist and loose the use of it permanently.... at least they wont look bad by you sitting around and them having a black mark on their safety record.
    No wonder your morale sux.... mine would!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

You are definitely in a bad spot.
    Was the bx cable where it wasn't supposed to be?
    How old are you?
    What percent disability are you likely to have? I've got 3% according to some formula.
    Will you be getting physical therapy?
    A lawyer may be able to salvage your situation somewhat if you can find a good one but, in general, plaintiff's attorneys are looked down on by the rest of the legal profession.

Its an old supermarket, been through various remodels, and this was on top of a meat cooler. There are cables and pipes run everywhere. I have a feeling the insurance company is going to try and go after the surpermarkets insurance. I recieved a letter from our insurance company the other day that read "We understand there may be a negligent 3rd party in your accident, and not to speak to them if I am conatcted."
    I don't know on the disability, I would like none. The is the first injury I have had, that won't heal up completely. Don't really know what to expect. I'm 38 years old. I have been in the trade 12 yrs, and have never had a recordable accident before on the job. Yes, I have already started physical therapy.

I will say my left hand limits what I can do in some situations. This is more common when working on cars because space is limited.
    I'm not sure how bad a fused wrist would be for HVAC work. The best place to find that out may be this forum.

Apparently you are not alone.
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

i have a brother who injured his shoulder on a new big box store, was able to get a claim against employer , very small considering the foreman was negligent. he is unable to work in the trade. these are both huge companies i am talking about. you might be better off going after the supermarket . i have wrist problem , sucks even more in cold weather. the doctors are right , i am 38 also , and it has hurt like hell for 20 years.

I don't want to think about it not healing, partial disabilities right now. I just didn't know if I should be talking to a lawyer to protect my rights going forward with this. I know my employer couldn't care less what I did for damage to myself. One of the other mechanics summed it up, its like I'm a broken tool now to them.

Are you right or left handed? Worst case, your married and left handed.. this could lead to some lonely nights!

Haha, I crack myself up.

I'm curious to hear what has to be said here. I fell on the 28th of July and broke my back. They sent me to work at light duty, paying full hours even though I'm not able to do hardly anything and a few days were very short. Luckily I think mine will heal up and leave me at 100% or very minimally disabled. Yours sounds much worse.

I sure wouldn't be afraid to get a lawyer in your situation (and likely will in mine too). Call around, find a good one, and from what's been said in my thread it sounds like most lawyers will wait till the settlement before they take their portion of gold.

I also would say to go after the company (which will probably be paid by workman's comp), and ALSO go after the supermarket. I understand you're not looking to get rich and get a handout... but keep in mind this is your lively hood and your tool (wrist) is what puts food on your table and your family's table too. Don't let them make you feel like your taking money off their table, that's why they have to have insurance too.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

My service manager wanted us to handle this so it would not go down as a lost time incident
    This is so it doesn't affect the worker's comp insurance.

that they would just have me stay home until my post op visit(2 weeks after surgery), and just put down that I was working from home on the computer.
    They straight out lied so that they could get what they wanted. There not thinking about what is best for you, only what is best for the company and the bonuses they're getting for running a "safe" place.

The problem is 3 days after surgery, the same service manager calls me, and says " We can't have you sitting home and getting paid. We need you in the office everyday, we can have you count inventory."
    It may be too late but maybe you could go back to the doctor and get a different restriction.

Just a thought.

You hosed yourself by going along with the SM's suggestion.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

you know... safety records that stay intact because people are safe and no one gets hurt is one thing. When someone who gets hurt is talked to by management because they are trying to maintain a clean safety record is bull$heet! After all.... accidents are just that. ACCIDENTS.... they happen. Now if it is due to negligence on some parties part.... then its lawsuit time. and the company or you or insurance company needs to be pro active. Hosing the individual to maintain a clean record is just wrong!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You hosed yourself by going along with the SM's suggestion.
    I know, I thought I was smarter than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast