Thread: How to convince

Confused How to convince

My neighbor called me over to check out his window shaker. He had all the covers off looking at it. It was clean as could be. I told him to put the covers on and we started it up. It had a 30 degree temp drop. I told him it was working as it should. He said that it took longer to cool down the night before. I told him the humidity was up and it was quit warm. He seamed convinced. But then 2 days later he said that there has to be something up with it. What else can I do to convince him that it is fine.
    Semper Fi

Tell him to pay some one for a second opinion.

Then he might decide your right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

touche'

Tell him it is bad and not worth repairing. Tell him the only option is to replace it. Offer to take the old one so you can properly dispose of it in compliance with Federally mandated laws. Take the old unit home. Keep it until someone asks you if you know where they can get a window unit. Give it to them and become a triple hero.
    1. You made your neighbor happy
    2. You prevented inlegal disposal of a refrigerant containg device.
    3. You made someone else's place cooler for free

This will convince him. Tell him to turn it off and see if it feels different then when it's running.

Quote Originally Posted by troyorr View Post
    Tell him it is bad and not worth repairing. Tell him the only option is to replace it. Offer to take the old one so you can properly dispose of it in compliance with Federally mandated laws. Take the old unit home. Keep it until someone asks you if you know where they can get a window unit. Give it to them and become a triple hero.
    1. You made your neighbor happy
    2. You prevented inlegal disposal of a refrigerant containg device.
    3. You made someone else's place cooler for free
    I would do that but I would feel wrong. Good and funny suggestion.
    He would probley buy that idea. He wanted to at one time put a "more aggressive blower motor wheel". Because his up stairs was cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I told him that he really needs to leave it alone and i would look at his system set up and get it to work better for them. And I would even give him a discount because he is my neighbor and nothing is for free.
    Semper Fi

Maybe he coudl benefit from a couple off ceiling fans, box fans to move the air off theceiling, and floor to mix with the cooler air.

Just an attempt at tongue in cheek humor.

Sell him a thermometer and show him how to use it?
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Arrow The Main Cooling Problem with most Room A/C's

Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    Maybe he could benefit from a couple off ceiling fans, box fans to move the air off the ceiling, and floor to mix with the cooler air.
    Dan is speaking to the main problem with most room A/C's.

Room A/C's do a very poor job circulating air & then begin to recycle their discharge cold air; therefore they cool a smaller area & other close room areas stay warm.

I know they're Room A/C's, but they will cool a large area, & more than one room, when the air is properly circulated through those areas & back to the unit.

Always use other fans to move air away from the unit & thus warmer humid air back to the Return-Air intake.

That should increase the heatload on the evaporator & increase its BTUH Output capacity.

If the room(s) air doesn't go through the cooling coil it won't get the heat & humidity removed.

I have a stair-well, as I climb the stairs, even with both upstairs & downstairs half ton window units running & 20" floor fans blowing, there will be an area that feels warmer & more humid.

Part of that is the humid basement air is under the stair-well. - Darrell
    Last edited by udarrell; 08-08-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typos, etc.

Or just hand him a bill everytime he wants you to look at it. I do this to those customers who take advantage of the warranty period after we install a system and they call everytime they think they hear something. The noises mysteriously go away or don't mean so much when they realize they will be charged everytime we come out.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.