Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ripped off???

ripped off???

Hey guys, I just had someone replace a evaporator coil and compressor on a rental house I own. Problem is I don't think they replaced anything. My tennant informed me they were only at the house for 1 hour. How can i verify what has and hasn't been replaced. I thought the coil would be easy enough to visually inspect but was looking for input. This was a 3.5 year old goodman so parts were under warranty.

sounds like you need to investigate more. call contrator ask for proof of purchase of parts, since warr pricing should not be a factor...
    Jason J Saylor
    Pinellas County Schools
    HVAC Tech/Part Time HVAC Instructor Fortis College
    Pinellas County Florida

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.
    Larry Flynt quote

Confused

Could have been incorrect troubleshooting on their part, and compressor and coil were not needed to be replaced. Just contact your dealer and he should be able to clarify what went on. If you were billed for this work, ask for an itemized bill along with copy of warranty paperwork.

To answer your question directly, even with two guys, replacing an evap coil and a comp in an hour, I don't think so. Not only that, but having a bad coil and comp at the same time(short of sabatoge) on a 3 1/2 yr old unit are rather high.

I would call the owner of the company and look into this one.

here is the whole story. no ac so I make call. A tech came out added 5 lbs r-22 and left bill that said evap coil leaking (recommend replace). My renters said the air from the vent wasn't as cool as expected when the tech came inside to get the bill signed. The tech said it could take a few hours to begin working correctly. 30 min after he left no ac again. tech came back out and said compressor went bad and recommended (evap coil and compressor) replacement.
    I called the company once already and chewed them out about adding r-22 without fixing the leak or at least giving me the option to make a decision. They tried to tell me it was a very small leak and a refil would last for quite a while. I told them 5lbs in 3.5 years didn't sound small to me. (this is the same company that installed the unit 3.5 years prior). They did have 2 technicians come out for the compressor/evap coil install. This is the problem living in a small backwoods area where you don't have a good selection of hvac contractors to choose from.

I have since done some research on hvac systems to educate myself so I know what questions to ask so I can make better decisions without having to take someones word for it.

I would say give them the benefit of the doubt until you have someone else check it, Probably better on your nerves anyway, you can always be upset later.
    Where are you located, there may be someone on here who can help you.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

1 hour by the tenant is more like 2
    So I take 1.5 hour.
    Anyone wanna take a bet that I and a helper can change out compressor and coil in 90 minutes ???

Well actually my tenant said 52 minutes exactly he timed it on his watch.(he is a crack head) literally. That's why i started this out with how could i personally verify new coil and compressor. I didn't want to throw blame knowing that the HVAC tech could be completely ok here.

With replacing the evap coil and compressor, I thought that you had to pressure test the system for a period of time and evac the lines (especially since the compressor failed). I was assuming this should have taken several hours at the least.

Location is in central GA (monticello). about 30-45 miles from covington, conyers area.

Well,if they cut every corner, maybe they could get it done in an hour.
    But they probably didn't vacuum, or change the filter drier.

Did you get another bill for the R22 they had to put in after changing the coil and compressor. Since factory parts warranty doesn't cover R22.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Arrow I empathize with what you are going through...

Quote Originally Posted by jrobin9 View Post
    Well actually my tenant said 52 minutes exactly he timed it on his watch.(he is a crack head) literally. That's why i started this out with how could i personally verify new coil and compressor. I didn't want to throw blame knowing that the HVAC tech could be completely ok here.

With replacing the evap coil and compressor, I thought that you had to pressure test the system for a period of time and evac the lines (especially since the compressor failed). I was assuming this should have taken several hours at the least.

Location is in central GA (monticello). about 30-45 miles from covington, conyers area.
    This is frustrating for me as well.
    I don't know what to say.

Unless you know You can trust the company, Never have HVAC service work performed without having someone there to verification what is taking place.

If it wasn't cooling very well when they left, they may have overcharged the system & who knows what else. It hurts me to even think such things could occur.

Then the compressor conveniently fails, wow.
    I never had that happen in all the years I worked A/C service; not that it couldn't have happened. (It'd probably happen the first time I went near one now!)

You're usually better off to do a complete change out of the condenser & the evaporator if, & it's a big if... - we don't know what was or wasn't done! I empathize with what you are going through. - Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    1 hour by the tenant is more like 2
    So I take 1.5 hour.
    Anyone wanna take a bet that I and a helper can change out compressor and coil in 90 minutes ???
    I'll take that bet. It should take 30 to 45 minutes just to get a proper charge.

I agree with you wrangler. 1.5 hours is not even close!!!!
    Guys that are saying the 1.5 to 2 hour change is dooable, have obviously never done one. I'll clarify that. Even no dryer, no nitrogen, no testing and no everything....it aint happening. Everyone knows one hour is required to just get the proper tools out and put them away. Add 15 minutes to get the charge in and there's no time left to do the other 2 hours of work required so that when you walk away, your phone ain't ringing on a re-call
    tl

Yep, I guess I'm gettin' old. It takes me close to an hour, just to unload the truck anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast