Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes

Hybrid Geothermal System

I'm wondering if anyone makes a residential hybrid geothermal system that uses the approach of burying a chiller down six feet under the earth. The advantage of that approach is that you would have minimal cooling loss to environment so you would get maximum utilization from the chiller. And of course you avoid the need for a huge trenching or well digging project.

I'm sure this exists for large industrial applications, but just checking if someone has made an affordable one for residential.

Post Likes
    Earthlinked DX systems.

Field required lengths, Copper tubing vs. HDPE
    (First off, I'm not going down that road, one is better than the other. I like them both.)

In a water source system you are going for a sensible water temperature change, picking up or expelling of heat, transferring that to a refrigerant heat exchanger to deliver the BTU's needed.
    As for the DX systems you add the latent change of the refrigerant being in direct contact with the earth temperature, the heat exchanger needed in the water source systems are taken out of the circuit, because the BTU's are being transfer directly into the copper caring refrigerant.

Systems are designed for the areas ground temperature. Pre-designed fields, with actual layout plans. So there is no short looping of fields.

Also, you can't pack 500' of copper tubing in a small space intended for one loop or one ton, and expect to run a 5 ton unit on it. The ground can only produce and regain only so much temperature, and still perform efficiently.

I like the Earthlinked DX system for some of the patented design features, as for the devices it uses, which could approve efficiency levels in standard AC units by 20%

And almost no printed circuit board, pretty much standard controls and common parts.

Check out earthlinked.com, I also checked out Nordic, but for me, I have a somewhat locate Dist.at heawarsaw.com I like. Other companies have come and gone, and then reopened up again. Earthlinked has been around for over 20 years
    • Today is Tomorrow's Yesterday

• The Quality of Work, doesn't begin with the Lowest Price!!!

Post Likes
    westes: OK, I see what you are referring to now, direct refrigerant lines in the earth. Originally took it to mean a Cu water/glycol loop.

Basically, the film coefficient (part of the overall thermal conductivity heat transfer) on the refigerant side of a pipe wall is 1/50th or 1/100th that of even water to a pipe, and you are eliminating a probably 10C loss in having another loop.
    The big disadvantage is that if you have a leak you lose a lot of refrigerant and $$$$, which aint cheap these days.

BTW, in a water source HP (e.g 1/2 gpm per ton flowing well water) a system only needs about 15 (yep just fifteen) feet of Cu line per ton.

Apples and oranges.

Post Likes
    BTW, in a water source HP (e.g 1/2 gpm per ton flowing well water) a system only needs about 15 (yep just fifteen) feet of Cu line per ton.
    I just read this post today, Junkhound. Would you take a minute to elaborate on the 15ft copper lines? Seems to me if it were true every installation would cut down on labor costs by using copper. Thanks

Post Likes
    DX Equals way more money. If you want to steal the tax credit just install a condenser for cooling with a geo unit and only use aux for heat. Problem solved you shaved a corner. Dont forget to change llc every year or you might be open to a lawsuit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crispE View Post
    DX Equals way more money. If you want to steal the tax credit just install a condenser for cooling with a geo unit and only use aux for heat. Problem solved you shaved a corner. Dont forget to change llc every year or you might be open to a lawsuit.
    I'm not worried about the tax credit, crispE. Junkhound caught my attention in saying you only need "15 feet of copper line per ton." That's 1/8th of what is recommended per ton of DX, which is the shortest closed loop per ton out there (that I'm aware of).

How would 15ft/ton of copper line work? I think he's saying it would be an open loop water source heat pump when he says "(e.g. 1/2 gpm per tom flowing well water)." If he is referring to open loop then there would be no need to use copper line (right?).

If he's referring to a closed loop, is it freon or water filled loop in the copper line? I would like some help to wrap my mind around 15ft/ton of copper line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12