+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: manitowac chaos

Post Likes

manitowac chaos

Had an mod QY1474 remote givin me the shaft. Previous tech had left the unit off because he didn't have time to deal with it. I get sent out there and turn the sucker on and it ran fine in freeze and harvest mode. cycled it again and the next two batches only the left side would harvest. The right side wouldn't. Even though the solenoid was energized and I could see the that the tubes on the evap (frost was melting but ice wasn't droping) Went to the roof and the line leaving h/master going to the reciever was warm as the discharge line in harvest. Then I melted the ice off the right evap and re-cycled the darn thing it did the same thing. So I called mani and they said that its probably my solenoid. I went and got valves for both sides and reurned only to find the darn thing running 100% fine. I replaced the valves and cycled it about 12 times it ran fine. I'm wondering If any of you guys had this happen. Also this was doing the same thing to the last tech right side wasn/t harvesting. My head press was good it was around 260# for 404. During freeze mode my liquid line was warm also when I recovered the chare it was dead on to mani specs 12.5 #. If anything two guesses would be harves solenoids acting goofy, oor head master "but come to think of it if my head master was shot why would only right side not harvest" It couldn;t be the board because both valves are wired in parelell and coil had magnetic pull. Evap coil ws forming ice nicely

Post Likes
    Mani's have very strange issues like that all the time. Probably valve not opening all the way and not getting enough gas to harvest both evaps. Or right evap is dirty and sheet is sticking, or right sheet is freezing too thick and sticking to plastic frame around evap, or headmaster is not fully bypassing in harvest and not getting full volume of cool vapor to harvest solenoid. So many possibilities its not even funny. Have had major problems very similar to this one. Most have been solved with a combo of new harvest solenoid and new headmaster and weigh in charge. Good luck.
    We do it nice cause we do it twice!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wildtech View Post
    Had an mod QY1474 remote givin me the shaft. Previous tech had left the unit off because he didn't have time to deal with it. I get sent out there and turn the sucker on and it ran fine in freeze and harvest mode. cycled it again and the next two batches only the left side would harvest. The right side wouldn't. Even though the solenoid was energized and I could see the that the tubes on the evap (frost was melting but ice wasn't droping) Went to the roof and the line leaving h/master going to the reciever was warm as the discharge line in harvest. Then I melted the ice off the right evap and re-cycled the darn thing it did the same thing. So I called mani and they said that its probably my solenoid. I went and got valves for both sides and reurned only to find the darn thing running 100% fine. I replaced the valves and cycled it about 12 times it ran fine. I'm wondering If any of you guys had this happen. Also this was doing the same thing to the last tech right side wasn/t harvesting. My head press was good it was around 260# for 404. During freeze mode my liquid line was warm also when I recovered the chare it was dead on to mani specs 12.5 #. If anything two guesses would be harves solenoids acting goofy, oor head master "but come to think of it if my head master was shot why would only right side not harvest" It couldn;t be the board because both valves are wired in parelell and coil had magnetic pull. Evap coil ws forming ice nicely
    Cool vapor valves that hang up from time to time are a problem with ice machines. I have seen them and they may act up one moment and be fine the next.....

Changing them both is a good way of just getting it done and over with.

As long as the evaporator plate is not causing the ice to hang up then you are okay....
    "It's not that I'm so smart, I just spend more time with problems." Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    ok so i am pretty sure that the cool vapor valves are not wired in parallel, they each come off of a different terminal on the circuit board on that machine, review the schematic. second these machines have been known to act strange on startup after a safety limit shutoff,for the first two cycles or so, and than run properly . Now were your machines off on a safety?

Post Likes
    Sound like a cool vapor valve problem. Manitowoc recommends changing both of them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crstephens83 View Post
    ok so i am pretty sure that the cool vapor valves are not wired in parallel, they each come off of a different terminal on the circuit board on that machine, review the schematic. second these machines have been known to act strange on startup after a safety limit shutoff,for the first two cycles or so, and than run properly . Now were your machines off on a safety?
    yes # 2

Post Likes
    have you had any more problems since changing the valves, I highly doubt that it is the board, because they do not have a high failure rate? I have had to change the cool vapor valves due to this same problem. is this machine at a restaurant, if so which one?

Post Likes
    have you had any more problems since changing the valves, I highly doubt that it is the board, because they do not have a high failure rate? I have had to change the cool vapor valves due to this same problem. is this machine at a restaurant, if so which one?
    yes chilis no problems I watched it drop about a dozen + batches. The cool gas valves were my suspission but I was wonderin if the H/master would be a cause " the left side was working fine prior to changing valves" I'm wonderin becuase I've heard guys talk about mani's takin them for an ride

Post Likes
    just curious i have a bunch of those machines at my chilis too

Post Likes
    where is your company based

Post Likes
    where is your company based
    midwest il

Post Likes
    Wildtech,
    I have seen this same problem on several Q1400 with remote condensers. After many service calls I found out what causes this problem. One erratic proximity switch. If one of the proximity switches would have just simply failed, I would not have seen what you're seeing. Unless you can determine which of the two proximity switches is acting erratically, I recommend replacing both of them.

Jabs

Post Likes
    Are these CVD machines or traditional remotes? Either way, here is most likely your problem. First of all, it is IMPERATIVE that the refrigerant charge is correct. Assuming that it is, the solenoid coils and bodies on Manitowoc icemakers, especially around two to three years time become erratic. This will burn the best tech out there period. Chili's switched from Hoshi to Mani years ago, big mistake. The CVD's will not work in Chicago or the midwest of any state north of the Mason Dixon line. Why? Ahhh....I have the answer to that too. There is not enough of sensible or latent heat in the harvest loop to have an efficient harvest. But, there is something you can do to fix it. Buy a 5/8 magna check valve and install it on the discharge line between the compressor and the condenser coil. Raise the fan cycling control to 275 and 240, above the headmaster setting. Weigh the charge in and you will have a BETTER working CVD. I have done this and I am highly trained in Manitowoc systems. Make sure your headmaster is working as well. ANYTHING below the stamped bypass rating means a bad headmaster WARNING: Performing this repair will aggravate the factory and they MIGHT void your warranty. If the unit is out of warranty,then go for it. Otherwise, install an Iceomatic remote if you want a great icemaker...30 second harvest times....or a Hoshizaki...if you set it up right and use an approved filter system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by QTEMP View Post
    If the unit is out of warranty,then go for it. Otherwise, install an Iceomatic remote if you want a great icemaker...
    Ice-O-Matic?.........ROTFLMAO.

You had me convinced all the way up until the part about the ice-o-matic.
    That's when you lost me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabarco View Post
    Ice-O-Matic?.........ROTFLMAO.

You had me convinced all the way up until the part about the ice-o-matic.
    That's when you lost me.
    Proof that some peolpe still can't see the forrest through the trees. Here's another one to laugh at.......buy some physicasl silver and gold since the dollar in your pocket won't be worth much in the next 2-5 years. That will be real funny!!! Keep drinking the Koolaide!!! Goodluck when your customer doesn't have ice in the bin when it's cold outside, becasue my customers will since I do know what I am talking about.

Post Likes
    Proof that some peolpe still can't see the forrest through the trees. Here's another one to laugh at.......buy some physicasl silver and gold since the dollar in your pocket won't be worth much in the next 2-5 years. That will be real funny!!! Keep drinking the Koolaide!!! Goodluck when your customer doesn't have ice in the bin when it's cold outside, becasue my customers will since I do know what I am talking about.

Talk to the hand.....

Jabs

Post Likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jabarco View Post
    Talk to the hand.....

Jabs
    OK....Then I will talk to your customers. Mark me words, Iceoamtic will capture market share. Watch and see!!!!

Post Likes
    OK....Then I will talk to your customers. Mark me words, Iceoamtic will capture market share. Watch and see!!!!

Ice-O-Matic? Capture the market?

Why? Because they were force to sell Ice-O-Matic to Braveheart Aquisitions Inc because Manitowoc had the monopoly on the ice machine world?
    Yeah, OK. http://www.manitowocice.com/news/icedivestiture.asp

Post Likes
    Manitowocs work fine in the midwest when they are right. -15 this past winter and I didn't get calls so I could nurse it through the harvest cycle. But I don't want to get involved with EGO's. ANyway. I had a similiar problem where the right side dumped the ice but the left side sometimes wouldn't. Come to find out, the contractor before replaced the board but didn't re-use the 26k resistor that was needed for dual operation. Otherwise it was operating singularly. Once rightside would finish, it energize the leftside. Not have enough time to dump the left it would eventually shutdown on safety #2. I ask tech support if they sent a resistor with the new board and they said they didn't but they could sell me one for $20. Anyway, i installed the resistor and it worked fine.

Post Likes
    Not all Manitowoc's work in Chicago.........especially when your customer keeps resetting the machine since they don't want to pay you to do it. Define right.....right installation, right refrigerant charge, right PM service, right diagnostics, right brazing job on a Danfoss valve, right Danfoss solenoid coils that short to ground and blow the entire charge on a remote system, right ice thickness probe that doesn't fail and will be rejected on a warranty claim. Wake up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in