Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oldest Geo

The commonwealth building in my hometown of Portland Or was the first building to have geothermal, anybody know if it is still in operation? It was installed in 1944 and and the building was completed in 1946 if i remember correctly.

mid eighties are about the oldest around me.

Changed 1st residential geo!

My company changed what is believed to be the 1st. residential geothermal system installed. We were asked to leave a portion of it in its original installed space.
    Project: Dr. Carl Neilsen (Ohio State University Physics Professor)
    Estimated Original Install: 1950's.
    Replacement: (2006) Open Loop FHP Geothermal. Later converted to a vertical loop.
    FYI: Property is still owned by the family and system is operating properly.
    Contact me for any supporting information pertaining to this project.

Correction: 1948 Install date.

I posted an incorrect date of orginal installation. This project was originally installed in 1948. YES, this is NOT a typo.
    We changed this system out as described in previous thread.

Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    I think I saw the oldest Geo in a Flintstones re-run last week.

Let's see anybody top that!

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Then again, I suppose the really old geo systems are the ones that use the air from caves to condition a structure. The one that comes to mind is the Lauray Caverns building that is built over the entrance to the caves.
    I remember when I was a little kid, I went to some Indian ruins in the Painted Desert in Arizona with my dad. They had a hole in one of the rooms that had cool air coming out of it to this day! The roof and tops of the walls were no longer in tact but the a/c was still pumping. It connected to some underground caverns and I guess they may have just stumbled across a hole in the ground that had cool air coming out and built around it. But that has to be one of the first geothermal systems.

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    I remember when I was a little kid, I went to some Indian ruins in the Painted Desert in Arizona with my dad. They had a hole in one of the rooms that had cool air coming out of it to this day! The roof and tops of the walls were no longer in tact but the a/c was still pumping. It connected to some underground caverns and I guess they may have just stumbled across a hole in the ground that had cool air coming out and built around it. But that has to be one of the first geothermal systems.
    Just goes to show that there really is nothing new under the Sun.

Welcome to H-Talk. If you are in the HVAC industry in any professional capacity, get another 14 posts under your belt and apply for professional member status. There is a lot of great professional and educational forums in the pro section that you are not seeing.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12