Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question The Ideal temperture for cooling in the home ?

What will be considered the ideal temp. to have set for cooling comfort in your home ? I stay in oh and I was telling my customers that 74 degrees was the norm. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks

Forget about telling people their ideal temperature.
    Some are comfortable with 78^F with 45%RH and ceiling fan air. When the %RH is 65%, you may need <72^F. 70^F 70%RH is never comfortable to most. You will need to discuss temp, %RH, and air movement. Its a can of worms, unless you are ready to control the varibles.

I promote low %RH for comfort and health along with fresh air during occupancy. You will need a properly set-up a/c and whole house dehumidifier to deliver during all of the varible weather conditions. This is the future.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Depends on you, your activity level, and local humidity. If humidity is fairly high, maybe address that first, or look at a system with a dehumidify mode. Things like ceiling fans can also raise the tolerable temperatures a bit.

Our AC kicks in at 77 and off at 74, humidity is naturally low in our area (SoCal), but we have no ceiling fans. Cleaning house or other busy activity and I turn on fan portion of the AC, but don't change the temp setting.

I keep my Infinity at 78 degrees, humidity at 48% and it's very comfortable.

What ever temp they feel comfortable at.

I prefer 72 myself.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If only folks had a better grasp on the metric of dew point over relative humidity. When dew point levels are < 55 degrees F, the temperature of the air surrounding a person can vary fairly widely and that person still be comfortable. In my own home I maintain the dew point at around 52 degrees at 75 degrees room temperature.

Activity levels also play a role in personal comfort levels. Go to a gym, upon walking in it may feel cold. Hit the weights or the cardio equipment for half an hour and suddenly the gym just can't be cold enough to keep you from sweating.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

68* is nice for heating, but for cooling 75* with approx. 50% RH is good for me, the house stays fairly constant during the daytime, until the early evening when the AC kicks on a few times.

81^F @ 40%RH and a ceiling fan is good enough for my house during the days. At night it sets back to 77 degrees because the bedroom ceiling fan is too loud to run on anything but low.

Set it for what feels for them, not what feel goodto you.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

I have an IAQ. Wouldn't if be nice if I could set my thermostat for dew point instead of temp?
    Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markf57 View Post
    I have an IAQ. Wouldn't if be nice if I could set my thermostat for dew point instead of temp?

NO.

At 80DB and 60DP your RH would be 50.5%
    At 76DB and 60DP your RH would be 57.6%
    At 72DB and 60DP your RH would be 65.9%
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    NO.

At 80DB and 60DP your RH would be 50.5%
    At 76DB and 60DP your RH would be 57.6%
    At 72DB and 60DP your RH would be 65.9%
    The ASHRAE guide for buildings in hot and humid climates strongly recommends that building interior dew points in these climates be maintained below 55 degrees F. With that in mind, your chart changes as following:

80db @ 55dp = 42% RH

76db @ 55dp = 48% RH

72db @ 55dp = 55% RH

The 55 degree dew point or less is based on the ASHRAE Human Comfort Range stated in the Handbook of Fundamentals as well as several other publications, such as Humidity Control Design Guide.

The ACCA Manual J default indoor design temp and RH of 75db @50% RH = 55 degrees dew point.
    Last edited by Shophound; 08-05-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added "dew points" after building interiors
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast