I got to test the backup generators at the local hospital this evening.
Had a call this morning from the maint. man. He didnt think the kitchen AC was blowing like it should and it kept throwing the belt and wasnt cooling good. I met up with him to check it out; first thing I saw was that the pullies werent quite lined up and the belt wasnt tight enough. I adjusted the mount a little to get it all lined up and tight, flip the disconnect back on and the 3 hp ($$$) motor sizzled and burst into flames. Ok, I guess the windings were bad and that's why the blower wasnt running fast enough. I had to go out of town to do another call, and could swing by the parts house and get a new motor. He gives me the go ahead and asks me to check the rest of the unit when I come back. I tell him to reset the breaker and make sure the thermostat is set to run.
Fast forward about 4 hours. I get the new motor put on, everything is working fine except the 2nd stage comp isnt running. Turns out it hasnt been hooked up since the unit has been on the building (new building opened this spring, unit wasnt that old so it was reused from the old building). It had a little stub of wire on the terminal that had been cut off, didnt match up with any of the spare wires; I just assumed the morons didnt hook it up after it was moved. It doesnt even have a two stage thermostat on it. I put a jumper from Y1 to Y2 and soon found out why it wasnt hooked up. Nothing like dead silence then the roar of the generators. Compressor was shorted and tripped the main breaker to the building.
I'm beginning to think this thing doesnt like me.
This unit is only 4 years old and looks like it was drug out of the scrap pile after they got done with it. It was previously setup for a side draft application and is now on a curb. This was their solution for a replacement panel.