Can never go back

Man , I remember cutting metal on a bench. I never thought it would end , just so much to do.

I got more money when I installed gas piping and linesets. I got more money when I understood controls. I got more money when I understood steam and hot water. I got more money when I understood varriable speed drives. I got more money just because I had gotten more money.

I just want to go back to my bench and cut fittings . I don't want to be a hero , or a super hero , make anyone look bad ( or anyone make me look bad , lol ) , don't want to save the day...just a guy working. I'm 40 today ( august 4 )...and I just can't believe where I'm at. It's good , and I've gone far...but man it's not what I had in mind. I've got 2 little ones that need me to push forward , so forward we go .

I miss the hand drawn fittings...getting a new list , lighting a smoke , thinking it over. It went so fast ...the order of the items , how I'd cut them , scrap and sheet usage. Most of that was mindless. And sometimes I'd get a good one. Reverse ells and centerline square to rounds were normal...I'm talking offset drop cheek ells , rectangular to two round branch fittings , and the elusive ...twisted transition. I lived for this stuff , hoped for it when these lists came in. These were the good times when weird stuff was drawn up.

All of that stuff is a lifetime ago. I am paid more for what I do than I ought to be . I don't do anything with metal anymore , and couldn't if I wanted to. And the more I learn and do...I just want to be that guy cutting metal on a bench. Man I wish I could go back.

Meh, go buy a nice sports car or a motorcycle, go have some fun in Vegas, then git back to werk!
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

That is the reply I needed ...thank you , ROFL

The whole reason I learned layout is cuz I'd draw stupid fittings that were kind of complicated. I liked them because I was usually pressed for room, and 2 fittings in one always saved room and looked nice too.

The shop guy hated it, so he quit laying out my stuff, but taught me how to lay most of it out. I can't say thanks enough for him doing that, that's what made sheet metal fun!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

and 2 fittings in one always saved room and looked nice too.
    I've always thought that way too. I see alot of folks get around that with a " box " and airtights these days...ROFL
    Last edited by tech45; 08-04-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling...man

happy birthday, and thanks for a beautiful sentiment. embrace your inner "greyhair" the best is yet to come.
    i was born under a wandrin star.