I have a ~18 year old GSI SL-2000 gas fireplace that won't light. The heater worked fine when I turned the gas off last spring to save on pilot light gas burning, and now it won't go.
The pilot stays lit but it won't light when the thermostat is turned up. I put a jumper across the gas valve to make sure it wasn't a problem with the wiring but it still didn't light, so I assume it's easier the thermogenerator or the gas valve? I don't have a millivolt meter but my multimeter reads as low as .01 volts - is this low enough to use to test the millivolt output from the thermogenerator? It appeared to be putting out 0.06v. Is this too low and if so why would it not be working when it worked fine when last used? Can it be cleaned or otherwise serviced to improve output? The pilot is hitting it fine with a strong flame.
Any advice would be appreciated.