Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question GENERATOR SIZING FOR RUNNING A TRANE XV95

Hey all..I'm looking to get a small portable generator to run my furnace if I get another upstate ice storm...here up in the adirondacks ..like I did last winter. I only want to run the furnace so I'm looking to get something under a 1000 watts. I know that the variable fan motor is much more efficient than the old 7amp motor in the old furnace..but I have lost my paperwork and cannot find the proper spec. sheet for my trane. If my elec. is right it should be p=I*v...so my ROUGH guesstimate is 240 watts = 2amps * 120 v...any direction on find the proper info. would be greatly appreciated. BTW I will be putting in a gen. transfer SW on my furnace ..in case you are wondering.

Dont do it portable generators do not supply clean enough power to run the boards in your furnace. You might be ok for a while but it could take out electronics. Kiss your warranty good bye. If I have a someone run there equipment on a portable ever I wouldnt warranty the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by joecerone View Post
    Hey all..I'm looking to get a small portable generator to run my furnace if I get another upstate ice storm...here up in the adirondacks ..like I did last winter. I only want to run the furnace so I'm looking to get something under a 1000 watts. I know that the variable fan motor is much more efficient than the old 7amp motor in the old furnace..but I have lost my paperwork and cannot find the proper spec. sheet for my trane. If my elec. is right it should be p=I*v...so my ROUGH guesstimate is 240 watts = 2amps * 120 v...any direction on find the proper info. would be greatly appreciated. BTW I will be putting in a gen. transfer SW on my furnace ..in case you are wondering.

You are close... don’t forget your induced draft motor. It would be wise to have a power conditioner to make sure you don’t put your board at risk. As long as everything is wired and GROUNDED properly you will ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by joecerone View Post
    I will be putting in a gen. transfer SW

There's no harm (except to your pocketbook) in oversizing a generator. If you get something big enough you'll be able to run some lights (or your fridge) as well. Think about 500W or so.

Look at Honda's inverter generators. These put out cleaner power suitable for sensitive electronics.

You can also have a local HVAC contractor install a capacitor inside the furnace (I'm trying to be as general as possible as to not break any site rules). That will also help the furnace run on generator supplied power. I would call a trane dealer, if they are any good they will know what I am talking about. I have installed a few and all of the furnaces have worked so far.

You need to size a generator so that it can supply the initial surge of starting current that any motor(s) require. This can be between 3X-10X more then running current. Most induction motors have a motor code. This is generally what dictates the size of generator required to start that motor.

Guesstimates and rules of thumb aren't good enough. Get the detailed specs. from Trane and then get detailed generator surge capacity/motor starting info. from the generator's manufacturer. Allow 20% more to be on the safe side.

If there are multiple motors then you need to assume they'll all start at the same time.

You can wire the generator into a sub panel so you don't have everything starting up at the sometime should the power go out would be a good move, or you might want to buck up and have a more permanent solution by getting a whole house generator installed that runs on propane or NG that will automatically switchover.

Small portable generators usually run off of a floating ground. The frequency is not stable enough for the boards to operate properly. In the KC area about 5-6 years ago we had a bad ice storm and people were without power for weeks. Generators were flying off of the store shelves with a no return policy. Sadly customers would try to run their Trane or American Standard furnaces and could not do so due to the floating ground.

Make sure that any generator has acceptable Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) characteristics before you buy.

http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/...12_ENG_A_W.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by yourairman View Post
    Small portable generators usually run off of a floating ground. The frequency is not stable enough for the boards to operate properly. In the KC area about 5-6 years ago we had a bad ice storm and people were without power for weeks. Generators were flying off of the store shelves with a no return policy. Sadly customers would try to run their Trane or American Standard furnaces and could not do so due to the floating ground.
    from what I've read you can take care of this issue with a grounding rod ...8ft or so. Also I am thinking of just hooking up a tranfer sw in my basement so that I can JUST power it w/the portable gen --- thx for the advice..this willtake some research.

Contact <Isn't that the company you work for, or own> There experts in generator like were experts in HVAC
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-31-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Removed link

White: Is that your company.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ya, but the way it looks like we can do that...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast