Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Goodman 92% vs. 95% Gas Furnace?

I am building a new home and it is bid for a 92% Goodman gas furnace. My HVAC contractor is trying to talk us into a 95% Goodman. Is it worth the extra money and is it truely that more efficient? Any help would be great as soon as posible because he wants to order the units this week.. Thanks

I dont know what the bid is (pricing forbidden here).
    Why not spend a few dollars more for the better option?
    I would say YES...

Chris
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

If the optional upgrade is to the 2-stage GMV95 with an ecm blower it's worth while.

ECM/variable speed blower motors consume far less energy than their conventional counterparts and can improve a/c dehumidification. (Blower ramps up slowly to get the coil cold fast, dehumidistat to slow down on demand is optional)

A 2-stage system when controlled by the correct thermostat can reduce noise and improve heat distribution.

The 95% eff GMH unit has a standard multi-speed blower motor and can't be controlled by a 2-state thermostat - I wouldn't pay a significant premium over the base model to save a little bit of gas.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

95% should qualify for a tax credit I believe!? That might make the much nicer furnace very reasonable.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

Isn't the tax credit only for retrofits?
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Just says... If installed in a homeowners primary residence before jan 2010 you qualify. Call yer tax advisor. The 95% should qualify and 30% tax credit makes the best option cheaper than the cheapest possible. I sell goodman/amana and I forgot they even make a 92%er. I've never sold one, 95% is a no brainer upgrade to me, if you want efficiency, why go for "Kinda efficient"????
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Goodman Furnace Ratings anyone??

Can anyone tell me a good place to find reviews or ratings on Goodman furnaces vs Carrier or Trane? I hate to open a can of worms here but just looking for a site that has real people, homeowners and installers, who review or rate these different brands.

I found one site but looks like it only has one review. I own 2 apartment complexes outside of Chicago and may need to replace many gas furnaces at the same time. Any help is much appreciated!

By the way, I am uncertain how to start a new thread here... sorry!

Thanks in Advance!
    Tom

When someones writes a review of a furnace, he/she is really reviewing the installation, not the equipment.

Just find a good contractor.

A direct fired gas furnace isn't even 95% efficient, not much chance that one with a heat exchanger is.

I found some info here stating that if you go to 95% efficiency your tax rebate is up to $1500 with your yearly savings as much as 30% higher. I'm not sure if this info is correct. They have it stated with 2 examples with a Natural gas or propane (LP) furnace - 95% efficiency (AFUE) or greater.

They also state that "combined with utility company rebates and credits you can now save up to 50% of the cost of the most energy efficient heating and air conditioning systems" the full info is here: http://www.acoverstock.com/tax-rebate

I'm still looking for some furnace ratings. Anybody? Im looking for a table matrix comparing Trane, Goodman, Carrier. Goodman is obviously the cheapest and I am buying multiple so I wanted to get the tax credits and still save a significant amount of upfront money as well. I think I am going to go with the 95% efficiency Goodman for the apt complex.
    Last edited by CoolPotato; 08-19-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: guess posting links are not supported?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesands View Post
    A direct fired gas furnace isn't even 95% efficient, not much chance that one with a heat exchanger is.
    What are you talking about? There are numerous high eff residential furnaces that are rated for 95% AFUE.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

I heard York now has a new 98% Efficiency. The highest one out there or not? I know Carrier also has one, I believe. I will have to find where i got that info.

Yup, I found the York 9.C 98% Gas furnace on their website. Its 120K BTU

http://www.yorkupg.com/homeowners/furnaces/index.asp

Wow, kind of high priced though. Its listed for a little over $2400

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast