Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Inventory is always a big issue due to the fact that many guys forget to bill the parts out or the stuff gets damaged from bouncing around in the truck.
    We had a guy retire and I had to pick up his van and clean it out. Over his time with the company he had stashed over 30,000 in controls in his van. He purchased them and wrote the po numbers on the parts so for kicks the boss checked what the po numbers and they went back about 5 years and all issued for truck stock.
    Making a long story short this guy was buying truck stock and not using it and half the parts were unusable due to damage.

After that we are not allowed any truck stock

My boss didn't want me to carry any inventory because there are parts in the storage at each complex. But that inventory was no very well stocked, then they realized that stocking my van was cheaper than 24 storage units, Most of our complexes was built by the same contractor so they use the same parts. Now I never get questioned about inventory.

I have been called the RE Michels of the company I work for. I hate having to run to the supply house to get a basic part, but sometimes it can't be avoided. As for making you pay for lost inventory, I don't think they can do that either. However, I try to avoid this by manually writing down every part that is logged on my truck immediately after use. Sometimes I forget, but 9 times out of 10 I don't. And I own all of my tools and equipment, including vacuum pumps and recovery machines, combustion test kits and other big things. So they can't get me there either.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

i am constantly getting told/asked by the installers...U have and 3/4 PVC 90's? u have some copper elbows..or this or that. They only want to use what they are given for installs instead of just getting two dozen 90's at once..its odd

Quote Originally Posted by coolestacman View Post
    Inventory is always a big issue due to the fact that many guys forget to bill the parts out or the stuff gets damaged from bouncing around in the truck.
    We had a guy retire and I had to pick up his van and clean it out. Over his time with the company he had stashed over 30,000 in controls in his van. He purchased them and wrote the po numbers on the parts so for kicks the boss checked what the po numbers and they went back about 5 years and all issued for truck stock.
    Making a long story short this guy was buying truck stock and not using it and half the parts were unusable due to damage.

After that we are not allowed any truck stock
    That is ridiculous! Not only that he would do that, but that it went unchecked for 5 or more years. Between truck inventories and a manager or accountant going over PO's or account statements from suppliers..... someone should have had some idea that he was "stocking up." I have worked for companies that stocked their trucks really well. But $30,000 in controls!?!? Now the boss punishes his other employees and his buisness for his own mistakes.... typical.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123