Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

financial responsibility for parts

The company I work for is on the verge of having the techs be financially responsible for parts on their trucks. Have not heard of this before. Tools that you check out yes but xrfms?

Does anyone have experience with this? How many companies do this. Do they make you pay the marked-up price or cost?

Quote Originally Posted by richvacr View Post
    The company I work for is on the verge of having the techs be financially responsible for parts on their trucks. Have not heard of this before. Tools that you check out yes but xrfms?

Does anyone have experience with this? How many companies do this. Do they make you pay the marked-up price or cost?
    Scare tactic.

How good is your company with knowing what's on your truck?

They are trying to control their inventory by scaring you into not using it for personal use or side work.

They are probably getting tired of parts being used on a clients job that aren't being billed (we call that slippage), or parts being used on side jobs.

I am sure if it was only a few parts here and there, they probably wouldn't mind, but some guys (Not saying you) take things to the extreme.

As far as the mark up, you should only be responsible for the cost of replacing the part, no mark up.

I don't think it is so much side work or stealing. The general attitude towards having parts is "there is to much inventory". Should say what we do commerical hvac & restaurant hot & cold. Had to fight to carry a defrost timer, only have one iginition board, a xrfm & contactor. There is no standard truck stock list except 2 thermostats and they don't even stock in the shop 2 stage. Stock shop is basically parts that were not used or no one knows what they are. Once it is depleted there is no restocking.

What I would like to know:

does any one work or know of a company that has the techs financially responsible for parts that were not charged out and not found at inventory. Probably by deducting the amount from the paycheck

For a similar work approximately how many parts to you carry

And how much does the shop stock

bwalley I am aware of slippage - I am $6.00 short after inventory
    Are you aware of a comapny that would recover the $6 by deducteding it from my paycheck?

bwalley I am aware of slippage - I am $6.00 short after inventory
    Are you aware of a comapny that would recover the $6 by deducteding it from my paycheck?
    If you worked for me and were only $6 short, I would give you a $100 cash bonus.

If the company you are working for is that anal, start looking for a new job, do not tell anyone that you are looking for a new job though.

bwalley so you are an owner. $6 in one month last time it was a bit more. I don't expect a $100 bill or even a pat on the back.

So can you say the approximate value and number of parts on your trucks excluding fittings, wire nuts etc

After writting that last bit I see the irony copper fittings cost a lot more than wire nuts but they don't seem to care. You can sell copper. I've been offered cash for the copper on my truck when I worked for a plumbing company

bwalley so you are an owner. $6 in one month last time it was a bit more. I don't expect a $100 bill or even a pat on the back.

So can you say the approximate value and number of parts on your trucks excluding fittings, wire nuts etc
    Yes I own my own company.

Yes I know about what is on my truck.

Seriously if you worked for me and I did an inventory on your truck and you were only short a capacitor or a contactor, or a lb of refrigerant, i would shake your hand and give you a crisp $100 bill.

If the owner is crying over $6, he has some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    If the owner is crying over $6, he has some issues.
    I'm not an owner or anything, but I have to agree with this statement.

If you were missing a jug of gas or major parts like blower motors or rolls of tubing or major company provided tools, that is a different story.

Same as you rich, no stock on truck, shop inventory limited to parts not used on other jobs.

i dont get the idea. if the area was competive all you would have to do to steal the business is have the parts.

i guess we are not in competitive areas or the other companies have the same attitude.

in my previous workmostly residental not having parts was killer. there were days when I went through 2 or 3 mobile home blower motors and had to say to the customer I have to get another. Understandable really I just did 2 others before you but I could go back to the shop and get another no worries about supply house not having it in stock.

if customers knew better alot of people would be out of business

We are getting a bit of pressure to reduce stock.

Fix it, don't replace it. This is the new mantra that I hear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast