little late for A/C checkup? (mid-west)

I had my furnace and a/c installed last summer (2008) and totally enjoy it!

TUH2B080A9V3VA XV95 two stage VS
    4TTB3036A1000A XB-13 13 seer
    4TXCB036BC3HCA the coil
    TCONT802AS32DA TSTAT

at the time (2008) installer told me they will call me in the spring to make appointment to checkup on my a/c. Last week (7/28) they called and want to schedule an appointment... so I told them it's kind middle of summer and I haven't turn on A/c much, call me back in Sept or October to check on the furnace. the lady later called back and telling me that I will be voiding Trane's warranty if I do not do my regular checkups.

I am just a regular HO, not too handy but didn't think tune up/checkup my A/C in August is that great of idea/price, or am I wrong? of course I probably wouldn't skip the checkup if they had call in April or May.

anyway, can I still keep my warranty with Trane if I do my normal furnace checkup and next year a/c.

Next question, if I take my business to another hvac company can I still keep my trane warranty?

I hope this is not a sensitive topic, I am just try to understand. Also, I didn't receive any Trane survey or registration card either is this normal?

thanks

We do cleans all summer long. Those doing them now get a slight discount. Key is keeping it clean.

Unless you bought an extended warranty, any labor warranty is from your dealer. Any dealer that wants to can honor the parts warranty. So if you aren't happy with your dealer, fine to get another dealer to do your work. Just make sure they will warranty any parts failures. A few won't unless they sold it.

Trane and American Standard units have a spine fin coil outside. They claim to increase efficiency with the coils. They also collect more dirt and debris on the coils so I would recommend you have it cleaned.

thank you for the reply, I think I have better understand of the warranty. I'll talk to the installer to see what we can work out. If not I'll just call the next Trane hvac (maybe the ones that hang around this forum ). I took look the A/C it looks clean. I did cover it during the winter, maybe that helps.

thx

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We do cleans all summer long. Those doing them now get a slight discount. Key is keeping it clean.

Unless you bought an extended warranty, any labor warranty is from your dealer. Any dealer that wants to can honor the parts warranty. So if you aren't happy with your dealer, fine to get another dealer to do your work. Just make sure they will warranty any parts failures. A few won't unless they sold it.

i would go ahead and have outdoor coil cleaned,and pressure temperture tested. your warrranty is YOUR WARRANTY! they may void your labor with them but not your parts,compressor,or heat exchanger etc. your free to use any company you want.

i would go ahead and have outdoor coil cleaned,and pressure temperture tested. your warrranty is YOUR WARRANTY! they may void your labor with them but not your parts,compressor,or heat exchanger etc. your free to use any company you want.american standard gives you 60 days to register warranty on line or warranty reverts back to 5 years instead of 10 years

If you live near cottonwood trees, you will need to keep a constant check on the condenser coils for cotton accumulation!

I see horribly cotton plugged systems around here that are neglected! - Darrell

We have plenty of cottonwood around here. We generally do service and cleans early for outlying areas that don't have the cottonwood problems as much and then a bit later (like NOW) for our customers that do. The cottonwood has pretty much quit flying around here now. With that said, these are our yearly customers and people we installed systems for. We know the units are being taken care of each season. Heck, a/c's were in use big time during our June heatwave and then not so much during our cooler July--now temps are climbing back up.
    Regarding your warranty, if it's stated in the warranty certificate then you need to have it done. Some mfg's will not honor parts claims if you cannot provide proof of annual service (when it's mandated in the certificate). Kind of like getting your oil changed in your car, you can tell the dealer all day long that you've always done it yourself but, without proof....
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

no cottonwood around, it's still shine! I did called the installer back and ask for break in the price since it's already August. They'll get back to me :-/ but before I hangup the phone, I ask them if they want to me to schedule October for furnace check I'll be happy to.

hope that didn't go too badly, I guess the worst it can happen is I paid out of pocket if machine breaks down. Can I get another certified Trane installer to do maintenance and still keep Trane's part of warranty? I think my original install's warranty include labor.

You can have another company honor the parts warranty without doing anything. On the labor warranty you would have to call the manufacturer or distributor and request the labor warranty to be transferred to another qualified company.