Rant....Health Inspectors

One of my customers is an Asian supermarket. Very nice people, but a little bit of a language barrier. Anyways, they have a seafood display case that went down in the middle of the night. During the night they keep the seafood in the walk-in, so no product was lost. When they came in in the morning they realized the case was warm, so they DID NOT PUT FOOD IN IT. They called me. I arrived and found the compressor locked up and the breaker tripped. Reset the breaker a few times and it started up. Only half the head got warm and it bounces around a little on the mounting springs. Diagnosis-broken rod.

after explaining all this to the owner she starts telling me how she got a ticket. I thought she was talking about a traffic ticket and was confused as to why she chose to tell me about it in the middle of a conversation about a cooler.

Then I realize what she's trying to tell me: Sometime before I got there, the health inspector showed up and gave them a violation fine for a warm cooler WITH NOTHING IN IT. I guess when selling off the parking meters and putting red light cameras on ever corner can't balance the budget they need to come up with other creative ways to grab money

On a positive note, the compressor is still running 4 days later and keeping the case cool. apparently it had excess capacity

i have one store with a broken undercounter refrigerator, they haven't used in a a few months yet the inspector says either its gotta be fixed or gotten out of there

one says that a missing tile in the mop sink, now how the hell does that have to do with food saftey, im sure the employess are not making the food in the mop sink.

its just they think they have some kind of power and it goes to their head. one guy said he would shut the store down because some cove tiles were missing in a room where they keep dry goods (cups/towels etc)

i wanna smack all of them

I had one inspector threaten to shut down a restaurant for the surface temp of the food in the top wells being at 43f. She was using a infrared gun. It took me some time to explain to her that surface temp will be higher, especially with all the hot kitchen equipment around. I had to put in a actual thermometer to show her it was 37 in the well and in the cooler.

My Favorite is
    "Replace this door gasket because of this teeny weenie crack in it"

Then you spend $100 on a new gasket and it never even
    fits as good as the old one.
    The average person has one testicle, and one ovary.

Quote Originally Posted by VAV616 View Post
    My Favorite is
    "Replace this door gasket because of this teeny weenie crack in it"

Then you spend $100 on a new gasket and it never even
    fits as good as the old one.
    or you replace the gasket cause some retarded kid said "hey look what i can do with a box cutter"

How about a critical because the overflow tube in the toilet tank is over 1 inch above the water level in the tank!. Screen door was hanging open by 1/2 inch. A Prep Cooler that was a little warm, during lunch hour.
    Go Figure.