Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: work is slow!

I just worked 65 hours in 5 days..i could use some slowing down. I used to think of our trade as recession proof but this year has shown me otherwise. while our company has been able to maintain, others in our area have had massive layoffs or closed their doors. it's common to hear that a company let 40-50 guys go.
    you will attract more flies with honey than with vinegar, but you can attract the most with a dead cat

Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    The humidity just moved back in this week, so the calls have started to pick up. It doesn't have to reach 90+ to be uncomfortable. Hang in there, it will pick up.
    The perfect time for the main chilled water pump to come unglued in our plant!
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heatermanbob View Post
    I just worked 65 hours in 5 days..i could use some slowing down.
    I heard you're having a heat wave in Portland 100 degrees or so?? I bet your Orgonians are in a state of panic since you're used to 65 degree temps all year.

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    anybody else this slow?
    It's likely a combination of numerous factors. Weather + economy + bad mouthing + lowballers = slowness, with the economy being the greater factor. You figure, to save money, people run their units less. If they run their units less, they last longer. Ahhh. a vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    i heard someone is low-balling and bad mouthing me pretty bad.
    This is one of the reasons why I gave it up, 20 years ago. They called it fierce competition, but I called it lowdown lying deceit and back stabbing. 90% of my business was through General Contractors doing new construction and remodeling. They all knew that I did quality work and used good products, but that did not mater. It’s always about the money, they only want cheap stuff and cheap labor. So when something fails, it’s you that’s the blame and not the fact that they wanted cheap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB60 View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I gave it up, 20 years ago. They called it fierce competition, but I called it lowdown lying deceit and back stabbing. 90% of my business was through General Contractors doing new construction and remodeling. They all knew that I did quality work and used good products, but that did not mater. It’s always about the money, they only want cheap stuff and cheap labor. So when something fails, it’s you that’s the blame and not the fact that they wanted cheap stuff.
    I have seen that myself. General contractors care less about quality it is all about what is in it for them. The first place they want to cut corners is the A/C systems and then when the new owners complain they blame it on the mechanical contractors. If someone comes along and will do a job for them at 10.00 ton cheaper. They won't even return your calls.

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    I have seen that myself. General contractors care less about quality it is all about what is in it for them. The first place they want to cut corners is the A/C systems and then when the new owners complain they blame it on the mechanical contractors. If someone comes along and will do a job for them at 10.00 ton cheaper. They won't even return your calls.
    From what I've seen, general contractors don't care about quality until it comes to the 'finishing'.
    Selling points such as paint, kitchen cabinets, trim, etc. are much more important than the structure or the mechanical.

We had a week of 90 plus here.... cooled down to mid 80's today.... mid to upper 80's tomorrow ...... I tell ya... with the high humidity and that heat..... it was rough... just looking at an attic access made ya sweat!

went to a house yesterday..... beautiful house.... big... 3 systems. nice tile.... wooodwork.... stairs.... cabinets etc etc..... the hvac contractor put in 3 Goodman 10 seer systems! I would have thought a house like that would be worthy of at least 12 seer if not higher back in 04 when it was built!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by tinmandad View Post
    From what I've seen, general contractors don't care about quality until it comes to the 'finishing'.
    Selling points such as paint, kitchen cabinets, trim, etc. are much more important than the structure or the mechanical.
    Don't forget access to safely work on the equipment. I've got a brand new MRI room that has it's own air handler. The filter access door is blocked by a metal support stud holding up a main beam. You can take the door off and confirm there's a filter in there and that's it. Oh did I mention the disconnect that to install a fuse you need a mirror to look inside to find the lugs?
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mcr View Post
    Don't forget access to safely work on the equipment. I've got a brand new MRI room that has it's own air handler. The filter access door is blocked by a metal support stud holding up a main beam. You can take the door off and confirm there's a filter in there and that's it. Oh did I mention the disconnect that to install a fuse you need a mirror to look inside to find the lugs?
    LOL!
    Frustrating isn't it?
    In residential, it seems the bigger the home, the smaller the mechanical room.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonjames View Post
    I heard you're having a heat wave in Portland 100 degrees or so?? I bet your Orgonians are in a state of panic since you're used to 65 degree temps all year.
    we usually see 100 at least once a year and the norm is 80-90's in summer
    you will attract more flies with honey than with vinegar, but you can attract the most with a dead cat

The best summer in 28 years. Obama... NO... 22 days of 100 degrees + record heat and little or no rain for two months. Southeast Texas

I'm not sure what's going on around here. We are swamped, like a month behind if not more (service only).

Where Dad works (company he worked for bought into a "60 minute" style franchise), he hasn't worked a 40 hour week in a loooong time. Had 3 days off last week.

A long time shop around here, probably one of the 1st closed it's doors friday.

Some are swamped, some are going under.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast