I need some help with an intermittent problem

I have an intermittent problem with a Goodman heat pump. (Please forgive me for not having more information.) When I arrived the unit was in A/C mode, and the indoor unit was not running. The homeowner said the outdoor unit was running. Nothing I did with the stat would bring on the indoor fan. I removed the stat, check a few things and put the stat back on and the unit started and ran normally. What I get from the homeowner is that this will repeat. He installed a new stat thinking that was the problem. I didn't see evidence of a block of ice on the coil, so I would assume the reversing valve was not energized (along with the outdoor unit running). There does not seem to be a problem with the performance of the unit. I get about a 17 degree drop from the return grill to a supply register and the indoor unit with the ductwork is in a VERY hot attic. When the unit is running it does not have a problem cooling the area. It will run fine for 15 or 20 hours before it will mess up. Sometimes it will run longer. I seem to remember a defrost termination stat messing up and causing weird problems with a heat pump once, but that was not intermittent. Whatever this is, killing the control voltage will reset things. I don't work on heat pumps enough to be proficient. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by bd77 View Post
    It will run fine for 15 or 20 hours before it will mess up.
    when that happens, we recommend you to call a qualified HVAC contractor!

Frown Borders on DIY question based on initial response ...

Quote Originally Posted by bd77 View Post
    I have an intermittent problem with a Goodman heat pump. (Please forgive me for not having more information.) When I arrived the unit was in A/C mode, and the indoor unit was not running. The homeowner said the outdoor unit was running. Nothing I did with the stat would bring on the indoor fan. I removed the stat, check a few things and put the stat back on and the unit started and ran normally.

Can anyone give me some pointers?
    One may be more receptive to this type of inquiry in the Pro's Forum in the future ( not eligible to-date - 20 posts min.).
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Not sure of the new Goodman air handlers. The old ones had a problem with a certain part. Ask somebody of more experience in your shop, they should point you in the right direction.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Sorry, this is NOT a DIY site.
    We can't give out technical advise in the open forums.
    Where DIYers cold read it.
    If your in the trade, get your post count up to 15 and apply for pro membership.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?