Thread: duct insulation

duct insulation

I'm just wondering if it's worth it wrapping the ducts in the basement with either the 1 1/2" or 3" fiberglass or the bubble wrap stuff? I live @ Albany NY and winters are moderately cold but not like a few hours further north. One concern is to allow some heat in the basement to keep the pipes from freezing. One contractor said: just don't wrap your ducts. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hmm to wrap or not to wrap...that is a question!

If you wrap the ducts, you will remove a heat source from your basement, and sometimes we've had to go back and install an outlet in the same basement after the homeowner asked us to insulate the ducts. You could wrap some, and see what effect is has on the basement temperatures, and also the effect on the floor temperature above the basement (remember heat rises). If you have a tight basement, you are using this "radiant" heat from the pipes surface to keep the basement from getting too cold, and the extra heat supplied rises to the floor surface above. If I was trying to cut down on costs, I'd wrap the long ones, and leave the short runs bare, and monitor the basement temperature. I'd recommend bubble wrap!

Not sure you would need to wrap them with 3" insulation, but the 1-1/2" insulation would suffice, nd just wrap the main trunklines would be plenty as thi would allow the heated air to keep it's temp better up to the supply lines usually 6"rd. runs which are generally the shortest of the duct system. If your basement is that cold and you happen to have duct work to support you installing a supply vent to the basement just to keep the chill out would be a better option IMO and the radiant heat from the bare supply runs should give you ample heat that your looking for.

If you do go the Insulation route I would think about have some access doors installed in case the need a rise's to get into the duct work for reason such as duct cleaning or the grand kids drop something down the supply runs, you never know but they maybe come useful down the road. And be putting them in now prior to putting the insulation will save you some change and time.

Thanks Gents for your suggestions.