Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Like everyone else has already said, he still has to start at the bottom. I just hired a guy that has 6 years of "similar" experience and recent trade school. He's starting at the bottom as a helper, but if I'm right, he'll move up fairly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    1st off, not to be negative, but don't believe that % the school says. When I graduated machinist school, they had a 95% placement ratio. Out of the 20 guys I went to school with, 2 were machinists... go figure.

It's tough to get your foot in the door. Seems like all companies want 15 years experience, but pay for none... same old routine.

I'd say to show up to drop off the resume's, show up 1st thing in the morning, this will show his desire to work and not bum around all day. Just gotta be a bit lucky too.

Before 1st thing. Early. When just the boss man is there. Show up round 6:30 and see whos there.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

maybe consider doing something else part time and ask if he can ride with someone for free for experience-probably a smaller outfit would be most interested but check with them all, install help and parts counter help are also good ideas
    Da Threadkilla

There are 220 listings on HVACAgent for Califas. Evan Carls Jr needs noob HVAC people.

did a quick check on www.thebluebook.com for air conditioning and here's one for him trainee/with tech school http://www.californiaac.com/ not might be down the block,but let him know the jobs are out there if he is going for local stuff he is limitig his chances....20-30 mile drive one way is A typical in this industry especially when your trying to build up experience. 2700 + listings for the area there somebody is hiring...firing...laying off...lack of work,and even tooooo much work
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I used amick's trick years back and got lucky too. It doesn't happen right away. The place that eventually hired me, had sat on my application for nearly six months. In the mean time, I had to take a job at a metal passivation plant. Hey...I had to eat and pay bills, just like you. Be patient......man.....your husband will hear those two words the rest of his hvac career. It is wise to heed them.
    I wish you and your husband well and above all, good luck.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

On his application. Remind him not to list a wage that an experiemced tech would get.
    I hate that from someone with no experience.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beating a dead horse here, the op hasnt been on since the 30'th with one post. Gee i wonder why her husband cant get a job, maybe God will drop one out of the sky along with a fully loaded brand new van,,,,,,,,,,,not.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Beating a dead horse here, the op hasnt been on since the 30'th with one post. Gee i wonder why her husband cant get a job, maybe God will drop one out of the sky along with a fully loaded brand new van,,,,,,,,,,,not.

you can lead a horse to water but.......

ya can't make him drink!

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    the op hasnt been on since the 30'th with one post.
    They repossessed his computer.

The op is a "she", not "he". His wife is the one with the rant. We don't if she is echoing his feelings or not.

My assumption is, she did not like the responses she received back, so she hasn't bothered to respond. Too bad, lots of good advice dished out, if your able to take it.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Maybe she left and took the computer
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

In any case, I hope he/she/it, and whichever one owns the computer, can use this problem as a spur to action rather than a reason for depression.

At a high school reunion, the only millionaire was the only one who didn't go to college. Without the education he was forced to rely on his wits and his wits were up to the task.

It's always a good idea to have back-up employment, and the best is that you work for yourself. He should beat the bushes, and not just the HVAC company bushes, but also the HVAC self-employed/consultant bushes, and bushes unrelated to HVAC.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast