+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inexperience Vs Employment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Inexperience Vs Employment

I'm the wife of a HVAC/EPA grad from trade school. We were told by his school that they had a 93% post grad employment rate, well, here we are 5 months later, over 222job applications, and not one employer will hire him because of a lack of field experience. We are devastated, he has many transferrable skills and a strong electrical background, is mature and hard working.
    How do we gain employment in the HVAC industry, to gain experience, this is a devastating cycle, any advice would be greatly appreciated. We live in the San Bernardino are, and have applied for jobs state wide,

Post Likes
    1st off, not to be negative, but don't believe that % the school says. When I graduated machinist school, they had a 95% placement ratio. Out of the 20 guys I went to school with, 2 were machinists... go figure.

It's tough to get your foot in the door. Seems like all companies want 15 years experience, but pay for none... same old routine.

I'd say to show up to drop off the resume's, show up 1st thing in the morning, this will show his desire to work and not bum around all day. Just gotta be a bit lucky too.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    Twilli says you just received some good advice
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    When we are looking, we'd love to find a guy that's had trade school. But he starts as an install helper and works his way up. Your area must be really hurting and have a glut of experienced guys.

Post Likes
    I went to a Vo-Tech High School, they told us when we graduated we would make $12-15 an hour (1978), I started my first job at $6.

I have kids walking into my place all the time from trade schools, in their eyes totally prepared to get their own service truck and be on the road the first day.

For the most part, with the exception of one extremely exceptional person, they were glorified helpers for no less than six months.

It's extremely hard to get into this business at any level other than helper initially, is that what he is applying for? If he is walking in and applying for a "Service Tech" position, his application is most likely going to get trashed.

Post Likes

there are things you just can't learn in school, but if your good

you will start at the bottom, and work your way up quickly

good luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    1st off, not to be negative, but don't believe that % the school says. When I graduated machinist school, they had a 95% placement ratio. Out of the 20 guys I went to school with, 2 were machinists... go figure.

It's tough to get your foot in the door. Seems like all companies want 15 years experience, but pay for none... same old routine.

I'd say to show up to drop off the resume's, show up 1st thing in the morning, this will show his desire to work and not bum around all day. Just gotta be a bit lucky too.

Before 1st thing. Early. When just the boss man is there. Show up round 6:30 and see whos there.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Owner's of these kind of business like for a trying out period at the botton , she would have to prove herself and "if' she's got the potential, the sky is the limit..........
    Matt 7:12 The Golden Rule
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

Post Likes
    Try ARS
    951-788-9440
    714-630-1003

Post Likes
    You may also want to make follow up calls to where you applied. This will show the employer you have a sincere interest in his company. Remember the old saying, The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease.

Post Likes
    Trade schools or apprenticeships may give you an edge regarding starting in the business, however remember one thing. Its still a business. I drove a parts truck for my first two years as an apprentice because i was cheap,most people did for this particular company. I hated every single mile. It took another few months before i got a truck and i had to stuff rags in the holes of the floorboard to keep from freezing to death,i hated that company with a passion.
    I did thousands of inspections for a few years and you had better have everything filled out and it had better all jive or you would be answering questions.
    That being said working there i received an education second to none working for those people.Their system worked, their methods while not exactly the same as everyone elses but they still turn out the best mechanics in our city.

You cannot make the clock run faster no matter how good you are or how much you know.
    Hang tough things will get better.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    try Trane over in the City of Industry they were looking for a 4th year guy...they handle the entire LA area for that brand great oppurtunity if they pick him up,especially if he is good troubleshooting electrical even non-hvac should be his strongest selling point....good luck
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    First off Let me say I am saying this not to be rude or a jerk. I am being 100 percent serious and talk from experience. There is almost no way in hell that a person out of trade school is going to make about a dollar or 2 less than seasoned techs in the field. I sat this because i have heard all the promises these trade schools make to their students. I went the trade school route and had no job after I got out. I even went to several factory training schools. After 2 years in trade school 1.5 years doing factory training schools. I finaly got offered a job has an installers helper. I cherished this oppunity , It got me to where I am now. Back to the topic at hand. even though some one might graduate the top of their class, that doesn't mean much to an employer. when they are looking for a tech that they can put in a truck and run service call with out any help during the busy season.This Trade is a rough one to break into. Most of the people on this forum got their break one of 4 ways. 1. They started at the bottom and worked up. 2. They Knew the right person at the right time.3. They went the union route.4.They just got lucky.

Trade school is great. The truth is they don't and can't teach a person everything they are going to have to know to be a field ready tech. These things come with experience and time. Out of the 20 people that were in my graduating class. only 2 of us are working in the trade. The other 18 tried for years and never got their big break.

I would suggest he tries applying at suppliers for jobs like counter help etc. Than their is always maintenance for buildings/ apartments

Good luck to you and your husband.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
    Try ARS
    951-788-9440
    714-630-1003
    lol

If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post

Beachie...............I "get" it! .........................LOL

Post Likes
    just wanted to say thanks to you guys for all of your help and advice. We just finished going through the blue book, and will be sending out 120 job applications/resumes. In total that will bring us to 360, no wonder its hard to keep being hopeful hey? But thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by techswife View Post
    not one employer will hire him because of a lack of field experience.
    Can he work for himself? Get the necessary business licenses, bonding, insurance, etc.?

Post Likes
    maybe consider doing something else part time and ask if he can ride with someone for free for experience-probably a smaller outfit would be most interested but check with them all, install help and parts counter help are also good ideas
    Da Threadkilla

Post Likes
    There are 220 listings on HVACAgent for Califas. Evan Carls Jr needs noob HVAC people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in