Stats on HVAC Return on Investment

I'm curious about the Return on Investment (ROI) of heating and cooling systems. Many of the DIY shows say that you can expect a certain percentage return on your investment from remodeling your kitchen or bathroom. For example, I think I've seen numbers above 75% for a remodeled kitchen. So if you spent $10,000 on a kitchen remodel you might expect to get $7500 back.

Has anyone seen any numbers or statistics for ROI on HVAC. For example, you decide to sell your home and one of the selling points is the new energy efficient heating and cooling system. Or do you guys think people really don't pay much attention to the HVAC systems in the home on resale? Do they just expect it to be working and that's it. I would think people might ask for a sample of what the energy bill might be.

As far as resale value on a home, all the real estate people and appraisers say they just have to work. where it might help is "tipping the scale" in your favor for a sale. i.e. it has new hvac systems or it has high efficiency hvac.

The HVAC is considered icing on the cakesort of speak, but you have to have along with the HVAC a well sealed home tomake the HVAC improvements beneficial and you and future homeowners of the dwelling will save money annually. But if you installed new equipment without much improvement to the homes envelope how much are you going to save? vs. new equipment and a well sealed home ? If you were selling your home and you made considerable improvments to the home itself and upgraded the equipment then I would say a person would get back 90% of the original cost of the HVAC equipment

We should work with the real estate companies to get that situation changed.

Reducing energy use & monthly utility bills can make the difference in whether they can pay there monthly home payments.

Add to that, the reliability factor & greatly reducing chances of repair or replacement, which could result in home payment defaults.

They are not using these critically important points, & therefore we all lose.

All most homebuyers are interested in are the granite countertops and floors its almost sickening to see them spend $$,$$$. On countertops and complain about the hvac being $,$$$. trying to cut corners on all mechanicals.To each his on I guess!
    <*}(((-< Good work is not cheap!
    >*}(((-< Cheap work is not good!

I agree with the you professionals wholeheartedly. It's amazing for me to see people complain about the heating and cooling systems going out, but they never had it tuned up and maintained. I see evidence (annual maintenance stickers) of the HVAC system of the house that I bought 3 years ago. I suspect that's why the system was able to last 25 years. Of course it would have been better had they replaced it a few years ago rather than me doing it. Where I live, energy prices went up over 75% in one year due to deregulation. If a high energy bill due to heating and cooling doesn't get a homeowners attention on resale, I'm not sure what will.

For the most part homeowners are dummies about HVAC and will pay little or nothing for better equipment when buying a house. It is too intangible.

If I were buying a (pre-owned) house, I would appreciate better HVAC but expect to pay little for the improvement because practically nobody else is bidding the price up. Kind of like luxury options (e.g. leather) on a used car, at the wholesale or resale level the market price is a small fraction of the original price.

Sincerely -- Pstu

/rant on

The entire concept of what a house is for has become a hapless, twisted wreck.

A house is to give its occupants SHELTER. That's what it does. How well does it do that? Depends on how one defines shelter.

My definition of shelter: a structure that keeps you warm and dry in winter, cool and dry in summer, refreshes your well being after a day out in the world. It does this without driving the occupants to the poor house.

So, how well does the average tract built home stand up to this rather basic definition? Warm and dry? Well, yeah...but in many cases not cheaply. Cool and dry? Meh...some better, some worse...but again in many cases not cheaply. Refreshing to one's sense of well being? It could be a stunning architectural masterpiece, but how enjoyable is that if it's not affordable?

Investment? We're seeing how that's playing out in states where property prices became a runaway mine train. Many folks upside down now on their mortgages, or foreclosed, with not all being sub primers. The house they bought was overvalued, yet the need for a house never diminishes, so they were either forced to buy or move somewhere else where home prices are cheaper. Not everyone can do the latter.

House now a financial vacuum pump? How well does that convey a sense of shelter?

It's not unreasonable to me that people want their house to be nice, to be aesthetically appealing. Where it went crazy is that appears the prime driver for the concept of house vs. why our ancestors started building them in the first place. We live in the 21st century...our definition of shelter should catch up with it.

/rant off
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.