Thread: Final Decision

Final Decision

I found a contractor I like.

He recommends Goodman because of their warranties. I asked him about Trane and he said if I like, he can install any brand I want. He thinks Goodman will get the job done.

I read a lot of posts here and it seems the installation process and who the contractor is is more important than brand name.

Should I go with Goodman despite the bad reviews or go for a more brand name like Trane/Carrier?

Thanks!

If its the GMV model, its as good as any of the other 2 and 3 stage units as far as furnaces go. But I am just a homeowner.

Quote Originally Posted by bateslabel View Post
    If its the GMV model, its as good as any of the other 2 and 3 stage units as far as furnaces go. But I am just a homeowner.

I'm a contractor that's installed and serviced the latest Goodman equipment and they have nothing that's in the same class as a Bryant Evolution (Carrier Infinity).
    White Bear Township, Minnesota
    www.summitheating.com

Well, the contractor could check the performance ratings of the Goodman he has chosen and the Trane you are interested in and see which is better suited to handle the load his calculations show you have on your home. He could also calculate the pressure drops the air handler needs to over come with your duct system and the blower performance charts would tell him which air handler would be a better solution. Just a thought. The brand isn't really that important to me, but whether the equipment chosen fits the application is.

Why not compare the features of the Goodman to the Trane and then look at the price difference. Are the difference in features worth the cost to you?

At the end of the day the Goodman will heat and cool your house just as any other brand. The difference may be in extras such as a communicating t-stat. I think you will find the extras are very few since Goodman has variable speed blowers that can be slowed to dehumidify, and 2 stage a/c's. You may have to go aftermarket for items such as the thermostat (Honeywell makes the VisionPro IAQ that I believe have the major features of Carrier, Bryant, or Trane).

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    I'm a contractor that's installed and serviced the latest Goodman equipment and they have nothing that's in the same class as a Bryant Evolution (Carrier Infinity).
    Thats a laughable statement. Both are 2 stage furnaces. Both use similar components. HXs are different, the Amana version has maybe the best HX on the market. The GMV/AMV are both over 95% AFUE closer to 96%. And one thing is without a doubt, The standard warranties of the Goodman are the best you can get of any of them. The Bryant/Carrier are slightly better when it comes to electrical usage. And they also are quieter by all accounts and have better controls. But those advantages certainly don't put Carrier in a seperate class. Carrier has a premium price over the Goodman, but compared to the GMV version of Goodman, no way its worth the premium costs, and I question if its even better.

Oh yes – opinions and rear-ends –

We all have ‘em –

Some are just larger than others -

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
    Oh yes – opinions and rear-ends –

We all have ‘em –

Some are just larger than others -
    Now that's funny!

My "larger" opinion is, The Carrier Infinity/Evolution Control and Equipment, I know it's tops here ,wehere we sell mostly heat pumps!

Check out the features for yourself,and decide what you want in your home.

I try not to confuse the amount of consumer advertising and the perceived quality verses actual quality and warranty of the equipment. Go for the best warranty along with the highest efficiency that is economical, from the best contractor you can find. Oh yeah, the ex-brother in law of your wife's second cousin just starting out in business probably would not qualify for any of those criteria.

Infinity's headline feature is continuous automatic adjustment of blower speed to maintain a rough humidity setpoint during cooling season. In heat pump applications, it will also adjust blower speed to control air register discharge temperature.

It's the end user's call whether these benefits are worth the price premium.