Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by rponson View Post
    Nothing in this world is free. In order for this to be as remarkable as described there would have to be some conspiricy between all of the major manufacturers. Carrier, Trane, Lennos et al are trying to squeeze everybit of efficiency out of this equipment. If they could use this technology they would be all over it!

In the 78's or 80's there was a product called the "Mist Mizer" sprayed based on Head pressure. The coil woud be corroded in 6 months
    The manufacturers care about SEER which is not directly tied to higher efficiency at high ambient temperatures.

You could use the misters around the condensors to cool the air being pulled into them, not to spray directly on them....

But I would then think you would need to clean the coils monthly to be sure to eliminate any mineral buildup.

The company I represent makes a unit that has a fine mist. It also has a filter to remove the minerals to reduce deposits. Soon we will have a filter that will remove 99.9% of the minerals from the water. The system kicks on an off to conserve water. Savings in some areas run 25%-50%.
    So far our company has not experienced the many of the problems listed.
    If you would like more information please send me an e-mail Email addresses are not allowed in post, they should be in your profile, please read site rules, thank you.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-20-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: email

Quote Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
    I'm curious what people think about this idea. Swamp coolers work by running water over a mesh where air passes through and evaporative cooling causes the temperature of the resultant air to be lower. This only works when the humidity of the air isn't too high, but it seems like the same principle would apply to an outdoor split system AC condenser unit. If you you have pop up sprinklers that put out a lot of mist, the condenser would suck that misted air into the coils, the water would touch the coils and cool them lower then they would if there was just regular ambient air. Your condenser compressor would work less hard for a given btu of heat transfer. The draw back might be premature aging of the unit because it gets more weather/water then designed for.

What are peoples thoughts on this topic? Have people actually tested this?

-Jeff
    the only answer i can give is based on experience and the answer is yes it does help, a little. i have done this before to get someone by but couldn't recommend it as a permanent fix.
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Misters for a/c

Joe is exactly right about the mist. There is a patented flow control valve that has been out for many years now. Finally Carrier is using it on some of their products. It increases the efficiency of the evaporator coil up to 98%. You would think all the companies would jump all over that too, but they do not.
    In fact some companies rather then really investigate it denigrate it because it was not invented by their company.
    As you already know the evaporator coil can in many cases be very inefficient causing a huge loss of cooling capacity and increased energy cost.
    So I do not believe these companies jump all over products that can help increase energy efficiency as you seem to think.
    In many cases they probably have every reason to be skeptical since there has been a lot of scam products introduced.
    I believe this to be a good product that can help because it is engineered correctly and has been tested extensively.
    And the new filter coming soon will be a big improvement too.
    TR5003

EH.
    I recommend this for those times the temps are far exceeding design parameters.
    If you are in a stretch of 100+ degree days, and your system was designed for 90-95 degree days, the only thing anyone cares about is keeping the house cool.

(I have always wondered about the efficiency you could get if you put your condenser in a conditioned space)

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    EH.
    I recommend this for those times the temps are far exceeding design parameters.
    If you are in a stretch of 100+ degree days, and your system was designed for 90-95 degree days, the only thing anyone cares about is keeping the house cool.

(I have always wondered about the efficiency you could get if you put your condenser in a conditioned space)
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    Lol.
    We stick condensing units in terrible conditions on a regular basis (looking at chinese restaurants where they condensers are set on top of walk-ins, boxed in and are in an unconditioned space with little ventilation), or on top of reach in coolers/freezers in kitchens.

I have a walk-in cooler and freezer with the condensers installed two floors down in a sub-basement. They work pretty well.

Misters for a/c

Everything you mention is true. With the proper filter and an extremely fine mist on the outside that is not directed at the coil works great. This reduces the problems to a minimum. The company spent several years testing and refining to make it work without problems. When the new filter is released that should completely stop any chance of mineral build up. This filter can be used for other applications too.
    I am looking for other dealers in the US if anyone is interested.
    Thank you,
    Terry

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Lol.

I have a walk-in cooler and freezer with the condensers installed two floors down in a sub-basement. They work pretty well.

Smart.............. no pigeons down there.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Probably twenty - thirty years ago. I service many water cool condensers. I believed it was call "FRASER-JOHNSON". (not sure of the brand name). It worked pretty well, haven't seen them for over twenty years. Any old timer here remembered that?
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Build you an air box sort of like a fan shroud on your car around your condenser coil, and run one inside cold air duct out to it, what little you might loose in air flow inside, you might make up in efficiency and savings outside.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Is there any data on this system showing the amount of water useage and estimate costs of water use along with actual savings and capacity gains. Then the cost of purchasing and installing this system along with it's maintenance?

I would think you'd find ther very little if any payback once you consider all associated costs. How much is you EER really going to improve, going for what 11 to 12? That not even a 10% energy savings. Even with $800 in cooling bills over a summer with a larger systtem, that's $80 per year. Lets say it's $100. Do you honestly think it will use less than evne $50 in water over thsoe months? There goes 1/2 your savings. How much does that filter cost? How long will it last. I bet it's almost $50 and will last 2 years. So now you've saved $25.... voided your equipemnt warranty and likely shortened it's life and for $25 you'll be out there once a week trying ot rinse off deposits and crap that builds up on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123