+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tracer Summit Panel BMTW Error Code 8

Post Likes

Tracer Summit Panel BMTW Error Code 8

We have a Trane BCU (BMTW) installed around 2003 that enables the data pull from chillers to our BAS. BCU has an error code of 8 which means "Processor in reset or no functioning software. This code will remain present if the capacity module is not inserted or totally failed".

We cycled power to the BCU and also pulled and reinserted the capacity module but no luck. I was wondering if we replace the capacity module (BRD01669), will fix this issue. Also, will there be any version issues of installing a new capacity module into the older BCU.

Thanks for your help.

Post Likes
    Installing a new capacity card will fix the issue, but it will cause a host of others if you don't have a back-up database and someone to load it.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. I don't know if we need to download anything to BCU. Our BAS(Andover Controls) has built-in driver that communicates to BCU to pull data from chillers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by reddy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I don't know if we need to download anything to BCU. Our BAS(Andover Controls) has built-in driver that communicates to BCU to pull data from chillers.
    The BCU's database lives in that card, if you replace it without a back-up the BCU will not work. If you don't have a back-up, try your best to get the BCU working again and have someone with a Summit laptop back-up the site, then replace the card. If you can't get it working again, you'll need to reprogram the BCU from scratch.

Post Likes
    If your are using a BCU to communicate to the chillers, then the BCU has been programmed with the points from the Chillers. Without the programming for the BCU you will not be able to see anything. The inputs and outputs must be mapped via Tracer Summit.
    Anyone who says this trade is easy, aint doing it right!

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.

Proud member of the United Association.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post
    The BCU's database lives in that card, if you replace it without a back-up the BCU will not work. If you don't have a back-up, try your best to get the BCU working again and have someone with a Summit laptop back-up the site, then replace the card. If you can't get it working again, you'll need to reprogram the BCU from scratch.
    Separate question:
    If the site had summit online with BCU, does summit not automatically load the BCU after the card has been changed? So in that case you do not need a real backup of the database?

I know he does not have summit online with it, but my case is different.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    Separate question:
    If the site had summit online with BCU, does summit not automatically load the BCU after the card has been changed? So in that case you do not need a real backup of the database?

I know he does not have summit online with it, but my case is different.
    If summit is running and you replace the standard cap then yes once the BCU is powered up it will request code and program from the summit software and download. So technically no you dont need a backup at that point since your software has the latest database. But backups are a good idea anyway.

Post Likes
    I agree with the last comment. But I would want to go into the Summit PC and make a backup before you replace the CAP card as well. If something happens to that PC while its restoring (like power outage) it can corrupt the database and then you are screwed.

Also you are going to want to look through your points if you have done any overrides of AO/BO becuase all of that will be lost during the restore and all points will go back to their default positions.

Post Likes
    WARNING! The cost of capacity cards have skyrocketed. I am still in shock at the cost of the last "standard capacity card" I purchased.

Post Likes

Trane typical outrageous pricing

The last Cap board we bought was $565.00 and that was the best price we found in the country. It did fix the problem.

Post Likes
    Finally we replaced the Capacity module and the error code-8 cleared. But as you guys mentioned, there was no database. Luckly, the original contractor had the database for the BCU and reloaded it.

Post Likes
    I know this is an old thread but I have the same problem with a BMTX. We turn off the power and replace the standard capacity the high capacity and even the LAN card (probably not needed) but when we power it up it still solid 8. The site has tracer sumit and two WS.

Post Likes
    Sorry I meant BMTW.

Post Likes
    When you are replacing the Memory Cards, are they brand new? You should be doing a DIP Switch reset and then letting the panel re-download Code/Database from the local Summit PC.

Post Likes
    It is not a new card. We also replace the entire BCU with and old BMWT BCU and reset DIP switches but even when we put the oter BCU it stills showing 8

Post Likes
    What did the LED Display do during the DIP reset? Did it do any EC codes?

Post Likes
    We follow the "reset all" procedure which was:

1. Turn off power
    2. Switch all DIP to on
    3. Turn on power

Once we turn on power no countdown was observed. Instead a solid 8 appeared.

We even took out all comm cards from the BCU just in case one of them was causing the trouble. Also we connect our laptop with rover to the lontalk link and it was communicating.

I dont know if we are doing something wrong but it is very unlikely that two BCUs will show the same code even after replacing the capacity cards and taking out all comm cards.

Please let me know any suggestions

Thanks

Post Likes
    Well the diagnostic for an "8" code is "Processor in reset, or no functioning software. A persistent “8” means that service is
    required."
    So you could have something as serious as a processor issue. No software would be fixed by a download of the code and you would at least see some other values on the LED.

I guess I am curious to know if you have a known working BMTW that you might be able to swap cards with to see if the cards from the malfunctioning panel make the known working panel error out.

And as always, was there any type of a power spike that preceeded this issue? You could even have something like a bad daughter board. I am not sure if you are taking out the cards from that module as well such as any modems or Ethernet/ArcNet cards.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in