refrigerator to freezer conversion

I have seen some threads on attempting to convert a freezer into a refrigerator. My question is the opposite. Can a refrigerator be turned into a freezer with some modifications? A friend is investing in a restaurant and it has a walk-in refrigerator box but he has more use for a freezer. Should he just buy the correct unit or is it possible to do a modification? Thanks for any info!

Extensive project, if the box is applicable. Where do I start??
    Box has to be urethane with floor, door heaters, heated pressure relief.
    Need load calculation, Evaporator may or may not be usable and if usable needs heaters, defrost terminator and fan delay, pan heater, heated drain line, defrost timer, solenoid valve, and new expansion valve. Condenser needs to be low temp and maybe lines changed or 3/4 wall armaflex at the very least. I am certain that I have overlooked something here. LOL

And after all that if you make the modifications you have no UL approval. Good Luck and let us know what the decision is. Ray
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Sounds like an investment in a freezer is necessary. Thanks for the explanation and the education. I will pass the info along.

there are walk in cooler boxes with no insulated floors. Freezers must have the proper floor.

Quote Originally Posted by nickm View Post
    I have seen some threads on attempting to convert a freezer into a refrigerator. My question is the opposite. Can a refrigerator be turned into a freezer with some modifications? A friend is investing in a restaurant and it has a walk-in refrigerator box but he has more use for a freezer. Should he just buy the correct unit or is it possible to do a modification? Thanks for any info!
    nickm, refrigerators can be turned to freezers, but u have to make sure the correct insulation is used. in the old times there was polystyrene use for some coolers, not good insulation to use of freezers, others such as high density expanded polystyrene have been use with great success on freezers. the r-value is the most significant insulating factor you have to consider when converting, urethane is a great choice since it does have the capacity to insulate well. if the cooler has not floor it is a must to add one.
    today you basically have to choices of insulation for both coolers and freezers, the best IMHO is the extruded polystyrene, seconded by urethane.
    if i can be of any other help let me know.

gus
    www.frigidcoolers.com