boiler/tower water source unit, use for geo? low temp kit?

Well, I got my hands on some mcquay water source heat pumps. They are obviously used, and older, but I want to try to heat a pole barn with them. I have all different sizes, 1 ton to 10 ton units.

These were originally for boiler/tower applications. Glancing through the manual, they want a minimum EWT of 50F compared to the geo units that are 30F cooling and 20F cooling, I assume due to the differences in refrigerant type (410 vs. 22).

Since this is for fun, I was going to run some horizontal loops and see what happens? My problem is, I am going to be close to the 50F temperature year around. Will this only affect performance, as in will not perform up to par, if so, that is OK as I can oversize for my load.

I also learned about a low temperature kit for these but have yet to find any information on such a kit.

Any comments would be appreciated, again this is for fun and for myself, so please keep that in mind.

I'm not familiar with McQuay products but I remember on the old WaterFurnace units the extended range units had a TXV instead of a cap tube for the expansion device. It maintained superheat at the colder water temps. If you have manuals for the units look for minimum entering water temp. If you don't go below that you should be OK. You'll just lose some capacity.

Just read in your post that min. EWT is 50. You may lose capacity or you may get liquid back to the compressor depending on how conservative or exact that spec is.