Thread: Smelly a/c

Central a/c smells

When our whole house a/c unit runs, there is a slight, but bothersome sewer gas smell in the house. We first smelled it only in the upstairs bathroom, but now seem to smell it throughout the house. I suspected it originated in the basement, but when I go down there, I don't seem to smell it. Any suggestions? It has gotten worse as of late. Does this seem like an hvac problem, or a plumbing problem?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
    Last edited by mocall7000; 07-27-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Your condensate drain may be tied in to your homes drain system without being properly trapped. That's the first place i would look.

A leaking plumbing vent in the attic could be the source of your smell.

So, do I call a plumber, or an hvac guy for this trouble?

I would call the hvac tech first. He should be able to determine your source of the smell.

I agree with the poster that said to 1st look for a busted or simply not installed trap on the drain line.

I think I will have a professional look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mocall7000 View Post
    When our whole house a/c unit runs, there is a slight, but bothersome sewer gas smell in the house. We first smelled it only in the upstairs bathroom, but now seem to smell it throughout the house. I suspected it originated in the basement, but when I go down there, I don't seem to smell it. Any suggestions? It has gotten worse as of late. Does this seem like an hvac problem, or a plumbing problem?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
    Is this bath used by any chance? If the tub or sink is not used you probably have a dried out trap, happens alot in houses that do not use the upstairs bath!
    <*}(((-< Good work is not cheap!
    >*}(((-< Cheap work is not good!

I have a shower that is not used in that bathroom. The bathroom will be remodeled in the fall, and it has not been used for a couple of years. I poured water down the drain after reading about the possibility of the trap being dry. So far, no stink! My fingers are crossed. Thanks for the replies, all!

That is definitely your problem then. Make sure you keep water in the tub, shower and sink traps and all smells should leave for good!
    <*}(((-< Good work is not cheap!
    >*}(((-< Cheap work is not good!

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
    Is this bath used by any chance? If the tub or sink is not used you probably have a dried out trap, happens alot in houses that do not use the upstairs bath!
    That was excellent advice.