Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I used to use my own vacuum pump, torches drill, and saws, but the company charges "usage" for vacuum pump and torch it was my stuff and they were charging for it. also burned up a dewalt drill and it was replaced with a firestorm. I took everything of mine (except hand tools and sheetmetal tools) off of the truck.

Okay, now I see the differences. It was not my intention to "stir anything up" but it did open my eyes. Our business is very small and we do not have this problem/concern. I did not realize that a lot of companies give a tool allowance and that really does make sense. So, let me get this right. If you are given a tool allowance and you burn up something or break something that was not supplied by the employer, you replace it out of pocket and beyond the "issued tools" should you leave the company you take the others with you? Okay, that makes sense. Thank you everyone for your input.

Other than hand tools we supply most everything. Some guys go a little further with the tools they have, so be it-makes them more valuable to me. And we have a tool allowance to replace worn/broke tools as well as build up tools. But they are responsible for the tools they are assigned, including drill bits.
    This past Friday we had an app. cause a stir because his tool bag with a very nice set of hand tools turned up missing along with an co. 18v impact driver. Had to file a police report on it. Kid was pretty upset, but I did put out a memo @ locking trucks, not leaving doors open at jobsites and such. if someone had to break into the van, I would replace the tools, but if the van was left open or unlocked, no.
    As it turns out, Friday evening someone called to report the tools found at a building he went to, wrong building, carried the ladder back down but left the hands tools at the top of the stairs.
    All in all, a good lesson learned cheap.

One company here in Amarillo will NOT replace your tools. If you wear it out or break it you pay for it. Maybe thats why their turnover is so bad. It started when Harbor freght came to town. Get cheap tools, break them and then make them buy kleins. I tried to get them to keep the replaced item and replace it with the same and they said no. That is B.S. Our tools make them the money. No one else in town does that to their techs.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    I supply vacuum pump, recovery machine, torches, larger drills etc, sawzall, stuff like that.

What about replacement? I had an employee that broke his right angle drill working for me. The only thing for me to do was buy him another one.

I also supplied all of the VETO's for everyone!
    Same here, but if they loose it, they buy it unless their truck is broken into and a Police Report.

Quote Originally Posted by tech45 View Post
    Should that include a digital multimeter ? A gauge manifold set...even a basic one ? Cordless drill ?
    After 2-3 years I expect to see those, yes. I can usually tell within the first six months whether I'm just a rest stop along the road to another career, a source of beer money or a possible life trade. My company will replace anything broken during the normal course of work...just don't expect Craftsman when you clearly own flea market brands. The property also provides the big stuff...recovery machine, vacuum pump, etc. Still working on the tool allowance thing, but I'm fairly pleased with our arrangement.

Any requests to borrow my tools is followed by, "You know they still sell those..."
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Company “now” provides Recovery Machine (and tanks) + Ladders + Vac Pump + Nitrogen Tanks + Co2 Tanks + Acetylene and Oxygen Tanks

Tech provides all Hand Tools + Meters + Gauges + Regulators + Leak Detectors + etc

Tech also provides “COI” and list of tools – company insurance does not cover stolen tools

Company does not cover lost tools

Company allows Tech to purchase tools (with pre approval) and have the $$ payroll deducted

Company has specialty tools available for “check out” on a per job basis

Originally the Company supplied all the tools – amazingly the missing & lost & stolen & borrowed tool replacement costs have dropped since the change

If you own it – you’ll keep track of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB60 View Post
    We are not allowed to use our own tools because OSHA says the employer is responsible for all tools even the ones provided by the employee. If the employee gets caught with a cut power cord or working on electrical without an approved 600V screwdriver, it’s the employer that gets the fine and the employer is liable if someone is hurt.
    I used to use my own tools, but then when they wore out, I got stuck with the cost. The company should be figuring in the cost for tool wear and tear or at least offer a tool allowance.

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Same here.

What are you guys doing/what type of work are you doing?

I suspect that you are working for a large mechanical contractor.

Your answers are very interesting..........I would guess that applies to all of us then!

All cords,corded tools, powder tools, safety gear and ladders [OSHAs main concerns] are provivded and maintained by us. The battery powered and hand tools are the Tech's but are replaced if they break/wear them out.

Most of the GC's Safety Inspectors have really cracked down on safety infractions since Obama has decided to use OSHA as a "revenue producer" instead of a mostly safety organization.

What are you guys doing/what type of work are you doing?

I suspect that you are working for a large mechanical contractor.

Your answers are very interesting..........I would guess that applies to all of us then!
    For me it's commercial maintenance. We are not the typical maintenance guys though. Besides plunging toilets we do all the HVAC, Electrical, plumbing, etc... and most are ex HVAC guys, electricians and so on. The only thing we don't do is RTU replacements and other big jobs we don't have time for. I'm with one of the biggest commercial property management companies out there.

I supply vacuum pump, recovery machine, torches, larger drills etc, sawzall, stuff like that.

What about replacement? I had an employee that broke his right angle drill working for me. The only thing for me to do was buy him another one.

I also supplied all of the VETO's for everyone!
    This is exactly how it is where I work

WOW! I am surprised at some of the responses. I did work for several non union shops that claimed if you need it you buy it. As a tech representing a company that advertises that they are better than the other guy but rely on their employees to provide equipment to do a service job that company has to be nuts. Tools, trucks, insurance must be supplied by the contractor. These items must be taken care of by the tech as if they were their own. Most techs that I know do. Tools are expensive but the lack of a tool costs more!
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast