Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Agreed, no one should leave with less than they came with, but if they came with a 1980s right angle and broke it, I buy them a new one and they decide to leave, maybe I should get something out of it as well. Hell, they prorate tires and batteries at the parts stores.

As for tools in the work place, I think the small stuff that you need every day should be yours. How ever, I don't want to see a bag full of "Harbor Freight" junk tools.

If there is a specific tool or piece of test equipment that as a company you require, then I think it needs to be part of the hiring paperwork. "You are responsible for your hand tools, and you need the following, at a minimum..."

At any rate, I think that if the company requires a specialty tool for a specific procedure, then it is the company responsibility to provide it. If basic tools are enough to do the job and the tech wants better, he buys it. If he breaks company provided, company replaces. If he breaks his, he replaces.
    "Customer Service" is not a department, it's an attitude!
    ???

tools you break or burn out at work as in grinder or drill that you have bought personally even hammer drill should be replaced by company because i dont know about the rest of you guys but im not coring holes or grinding and cutting away from work too often i bought my first hilti hammer drill 4yrs ago just about every year i give mine to another employee and company buys me a new one because i take care of it and i use it 99% for work

Quote Originally Posted by cartercrew View Post
    How ever, I don't want to see a bag full of "Harbor Freight" junk tools.
    Really.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We are not allowed to use our own tools because OSHA says the employer is responsible for all tools even the ones provided by the employee. If the employee gets caught with a cut power cord or working on electrical without an approved 600V screwdriver, it’s the employer that gets the fine and the employer is liable if someone is hurt.
    I used to use my own tools, but then when they wore out, I got stuck with the cost. The company should be figuring in the cost for tool wear and tear or at least offer a tool allowance.

All my personal tools stay in my garage where they belong. Every tool in my work truck belongs to the company I work for. If I quit tomorrow they can come pick up the truck without me having to look inside. However, I did use my personal hammer drill for a job because I didn't feel like going through the headache of getting one of the 20 or so drills floating around the shop.

Most places I have worked have had a policy based on cost/usage of tools. If it is something you use everyday then you can be expected to own it. Something else, say a hammerdrill, a 4 foot pipe wrench, or a sky-hook then the company will pay for it.

I do not think anyone is expected to own a reclaimer, that is out of line based on cost alone but usage may vary.

I do think vacuum pumps is a debatable issue. Some employers want the tech to own it. I never had a big problem with that, but they want to charge x$ for 'vac pump use' and I figure I ought to have a piece of that action.

I would estimate a tech is either limited by, or advantaged to some degree, by the tools he owns. So do not flinch at the cost of buying tools. Some cheapo hand tools are practical, some things you can do without, but always be mindful that you are limited in ability by lack of tools so own them if possible.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by cartercrew View Post
    Agreed, no one should leave with less than they came with, but if they came with a 1980s right angle and broke it, I buy them a new one and they decide to leave, maybe I should get something out of it as well. Hell, they prorate tires and batteries at the parts stores.

As for tools in the work place, I think the small stuff that you need every day should be yours. How ever, I don't want to see a bag full of "Harbor Freight" junk tools.

If there is a specific tool or piece of test equipment that as a company you require, then I think it needs to be part of the hiring paperwork. "You are responsible for your hand tools, and you need the following, at a minimum..."

At any rate, I think that if the company requires a specialty tool for a specific procedure, then it is the company responsibility to provide it. If basic tools are enough to do the job and the tech wants better, he buys it. If he breaks company provided, company replaces. If he breaks his, he replaces.
    I agree but the employee should not have to replace his tools that he wore out working for you junk tools or not they should be replaced by the employer good tools for good tools junk for junk.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

When I was in the field I had all of the hand tools, a very nice F**** 87 meter that read anything my little heart desired and my own (2 sets) of gauges. My meter was in excess of $435.00 about 12 years ago. I also had all the tools that we use like swages, flaring tools, benders and all the other stuff. I had a roll-a-way tool box in my van with thousands of $ of other tools like dial indicators, torque wrenches, sockets and wrenches up the wazoo and the list went on.... But I guess I never wanted to be slowed down because I didn't have the tools that I needed. Our company bought all the extra stuff guys needed and if they weren't things that were needed regularly then they had to check them out of the tool room. I do believe that the company needs to replace broken tools that belong to the employee. After all, that's what a tax right off is for, (the cost of doing business). If the company doesn't want to replace broken tools then there are lots of other places out there hiring. You may need to move....

One of my instructors always told us..... If a guy is good at his trade he should never have too much trouble finding a good job! He was told this by an old timer who, in the depression, bought property and was doing quite well for himself. And,,, oh ya,, he was doing this trade!

I have been lucky myself and not been out of work for more than a week in about 25 years.

I hope this helps without adding too much unimportant stuff.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    Are you kidding me? The guy is working for wages, he wears out his drill, you need to buy him a new one.........are you kidding me?

When he leaves, it's his.

Now, on the other hand I have had had guys start that were tool challenged, I would buy them tools etc..........if they left prior to a year was up, they paid me back, after 1 year the tools were theirs!
    I agree with HeyBob's tool P And P
    If you help others then you are a Success

I need to go to work for HeyBob.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

well it's fair it encourges tech it invest in their tools and they can't say something like "Oh my micron gauge broke and I can't afford a new one"

turn in old broken one get new one.
    If you help others then you are a Success

in my opinion all small tools should be bought by the tech and the larger tools such as recovery machines ladders etc should be bought by the company although, thats just my opinion. my dad is a mechanic in an independant shop. he buys all of his tools including the expensive scan tools and lab scopes. its just his trade.but on the other hand i have in the past bought all my own tools for a trade but i was considered self employed. the state that i live in has a worksheet that you go by to determine if you are self employed or an employee. the top 2 questions are who supplies tools and who supplies materials. so in texas if you are an employee the buisness ( by law ) should supply all tools including truck and gas.although it never works out that way. so i guess if you need a tool just buy it.if the buisness supplies it then thats great.

I own everything except for my recovery machine vacuum pump and tanks. I get a healthy tool allowance in return. If the tool wears out its on my dime if it gets lost or stolen the company will replace it. If you don't have the cash to replace a meter or leak detector the company will provide it but it comes off of your tool list. I think this set up is fair and I am way ahead of the game financially as a result. Specialty stuff ie 48 pipe wrenches and rigging are company tools. I have up to 24" pipe wrenches and up to 2" wrenches and sockets that are mine anything more than that we have a tool crib

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast