Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tool Policy ( how's it done where you work )

Wasn't sure where to post this question ...so I'll throw it out here.

I'm a senior tech ( no service manager ) at a medium sized mechanical company and I need to get a handle on tools for the people under me. I have worked for a few companys in my time and have seen one extreme to the other.

Extreme 1 - you want for nothing. Recovery machine down to a control screwdriver is provided by the company.

Extreme 2 - you want it you buy it. Wood structure...time to buy a nice angle drill. Precast ...going to need a nice rotary hammer.

I have to say that I am somewhere in the middle...but I also feel that the company is going to need to provide a tool account to front these guys what they need to have. High dollar drills and recovery machines ( and other 400 dollar plus items ) should be on the company's dime IMO...what do you think ?

anything that wont fit in your pouch should be supplied by the company thats how it is where im at and i think thats fair

first off, i work for a union company. they supply us with everything that we need to do the job. that said, i have things on the truck that are mine, more convenience than anything. My buddy who works for the same company has mostly all his own tools even the recovery machine and vacuum pumps, but that is his choice. I agree with the previous poster, hand tools may be provided be employee but everything else should be provided by the company, and insured by the company. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by viessmann View Post
    anything that wont fit in your pouch should be supplied by the company thats how it is where im at and i think thats fair
    I can see that.

Should that include a digital multimeter ? A gauge manifold set...even a basic one ? Cordless drill ?

Heck , I have a Rigid 700 power threader and a chain vice in my garage ( from the past ). Deep cut Porta - Band , CPS Recovery , JB 7 cfm vac. pump , Thermal Micron Ga. , etc. I bought this stuff to be " better "...and at the time it made the difference ( extreme #2 , lol ).

But yes , I am looking to be " fair " .

Think most commercial companies provide anything beyond hand tools.Meters torches vac pump etc by the company.

Not sure how resi companies do it,seems to be a different universe a lot of the time.
    GO DAWGS!

If you work for a major contractor, they can "charge it to the job" if you need it. Hammer-drill or pneumatic kit. Make them pay for it. What are you, tool-world-supply?

I supply vacuum pump, recovery machine, torches, larger drills etc, sawzall, stuff like that.

What about replacement? I had an employee that broke his right angle drill working for me. The only thing for me to do was buy him another one.

I also supplied all of the VETO's for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    I supply vacuum pump, recovery machine, torches, larger drills etc, sawzall, stuff like that.

What about replacement? I had an employee that broke his right angle drill working for me. The only thing for me to do was buy him another one.

I believe that if it was supplied by the company and he broke it with normal use then the company should replace it. If he blatantly broke the drill, then he should replace it. Just my opinion. It is a "small tool" that has a "shelf life". You can't expect it to last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedFingers View Post
    I believe that if it was supplied by the company and he broke it with normal use then the company should replace it. If he blatantly broke the drill, then he should replace it. Just my opinion. It is a "small tool" that has a "shelf life". You can't expect it to last forever.

The tool in question was his own personal tool. I have replaced many drills, saws etc...........stuff that wasn't mine, but belonged to employees.

You hiring????
    I need a new signature.....

Red face

The tool in question was his own personal tool. I have replaced many drills, saws etc...........stuff that wasn't mine, but belonged to employees.
    Okay I understand that. Same thing applies though. The employee cannot expect his tools to last forever either. It is a part of doing business. Being a business owner we would probably replace the drill so he could keep working; however, I think it may become a part of the tools he must "turn in" if he leaves.

This situation really has not come up at our company but it is one that is going to be hashed out here. This does bring up quite a "pickle" of a situation doesn't it?

Also, have you thought that some things that are your own you take care of more. Especially if it is "high dollar"?

Being a business owner we would probably replace the drill so he could keep working; however, I think it may become a part of the tools he must "turn in" if he leaves.
    I'm not sure that anyone should leave with less than they showed up with.

I was trying to help a tech over the phone and asked for some DC voltage readings. His meter wouldn't read DC ... so I am at odds as to weather the company owes him a decent meter to use , I have bought plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedFingers View Post

I think it may become a part of the tools he must "turn in" if he leaves.

Are you kidding me? The guy is working for wages, he wears out his drill, you need to buy him a new one.........are you kidding me?

When he leaves, it's his.

Now, on the other hand I have had had guys start that were tool challenged, I would buy them tools etc..........if they left prior to a year was up, they paid me back, after 1 year the tools were theirs!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast