Post Is my pleated filter too restrictive?

We live in Minnesota, and have a two story home (forced air) built in 1986 with one of the bedrooms over the garage. I have the typical problem of the upper rooms being too cold in the winter and hot in the summer. To help with the problem, Ive added insulation in a few spots that were bare, and have replaced a number of window seals to ensure they seal tight. These helped a small amount. I also run the fan in a circulate mode that runs that fan about 30% of the time.

After reading recent posts here about pleated filters, I removed my pleated filter for an afternoon to see if there was any difference. I could not believe how much extra air flow I saw in the upstairs bedrooms. My crude way of measuring was a piece of paper over the vent with a weight on one side. I then measured how far the paper moved away from the vent from air movement.

Now Im wondering what to do. The pleated filters are 1 inch 20x25 Merv 11, which I used because thats what was there when I moved in. My options seem to be:

1.Go to a spun fiberglass filter. The pleated filters seem to really help with dust, but Im really losing air flow.

2.Possibly go to a new furnace with VS blower. My existing furnace is original and approaching 24 years old.

3.Get a better filter. Possibly a larger pleated filter would offer less resistance?

I like having the higher Merv rating for dust etc, but I seem to be compromising air flow. Is there something that would be much less restrictive but give s similar Merv rating?

Thanks!

Have an ac contractor install a larger depth filter box. Shouldn't be a big deal and will lower the pressure to that of a spun fiberglass without giving up filtration.

Yep can have a 4" or 5" filter rack installed or you can go with a EAC (electronic air cleaner) which work very well also but are alittle more in cost and they need to be cleaned every 3-6 months depending on the use but when you look at the cost of buying 1 or 2 filters over the course of several years the EAC will pay for itself in the long run.

there are also 4" pleated filters that will retro fit into existing return frame.
    check sites like us filters for more info.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Don't guess,have the ESP tested by a Pro
    ,that understands ESP and the mfrs fan data chart!!!

Call around until you find one!!

Thanks much for the replies. Is ESP external static pressure?

Also, for me to get a 4" filter installed, I'm assuming that this will require sheet metal work on the return side. Am I correct?

One last question. Since my furnace is so old, I'm wondering how much money I should put into this system vs. purchasing a new furnace and having all the tests etc done at one time. Although the furnace is old it still runs fine. Do most people wait until the old one dies, or purchase ahead of time? I'm thinking that I'd be better to catch it before it dies, and get all the work (and testing etc) done at one time with one lump price.

We live in Minnesota, and have a two story home (forced air) built in 1986 with one of the bedrooms over the garage. I have the typical problem of the upper rooms being too cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
    One last question. Since my furnace is so old, I'm wondering how much money I should put into this system vs. purchasing a new furnace and having all the tests etc done at one time. Although the furnace is old it still runs fine. Do most people wait until the old one dies, or purchase ahead of time? I'm thinking that I'd be better to catch it before it dies, and get all the work (and testing etc) done at one time with one lump price.
    It depends.

You already know that the existing system is not giving you great comfort. A better furnace system, might help that. Might also need some duct work.

And you know what your current energy bills are and if you make make big savings in them with higher eff equipment.

And right now you have the possibility of the federal tax credit and check with your utilities and state about credits, rebates, no interest loans and other programs that they have.

The best thing you might want to do would be to make a couple of calls set up a few appointments with several contractors and have them come out to look your system over to see if your duck work is ok, and get quotes from all that show up and ask them all the same questions so you can compare apples to apples. If they think your system is ok, and will last another 1 or 2 even 3 yrs go ahead and put in a better filter rack 4" shouldn't be too much and it can still be used with equipment when the time comes. This will also give you a chance to pick of a the few who come to look your system over to get a feel of who you might be able to trust, and who will provide you good service.

Try using the polyester filters. They are better than the fiberglass and they are very good for air flow....

http://www.flanderscorp.com/corp/pro...inch_Frame.pdf