Electrician Becoming AC Tech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electrician Becoming AC Tech

Hello everyone. I work for a company that does both electrical and hvac work. I have always been the lead electrician but we were kinda slow at the beginning of summer this year so I started helping out on the other side of the fence. I got my EPA certification and started doing service work. Most of the problems I would run into was electrical anyway. Capacitors, condenser motors, contactors, etc.

Anyway, I'm learning as I go. There have been several calls already that I've had to call for back-up. I look forward to being a student of the practice and learning as much as I can about it. I'm hoping this is the place to help expand my knowledge.

Thanks in advance for everything I'm sure I'll learn as I read through the boards.

Jason

get your post count up to 15 and apply for pro membership

vast amounts of knowledge are available there on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    get your post count up to 15 and apply for pro membership

vast amounts of knowledge are available there on a daily basis

That's my goal. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by elec2hvac View Post
    Hello everyone. I work for a company that does both electrical and hvac work. I have always been the lead electrician but we were kinda slow at the beginning of summer this year so I started helping out on the other side of the fence. I got my EPA certification and started doing service work. Most of the problems I would run into was electrical anyway. Capacitors, condenser motors, contactors, etc.

Anyway, I'm learning as I go. There have been several calls already that I've had to call for back-up. I look forward to being a student of the practice and learning as much as I can about it. I'm hoping this is the place to help expand my knowledge.

Thanks in advance for everything I'm sure I'll learn as I read through the boards.

Jason
    While it's true most a/c service calls are electrical in nature, many are not. If you don't develop a firm understanding refrigeration principles, there will come the inevitable job that will hang you out to dry. It's happened to just about every tech here at some point in his/her career.

Learn all you can about both the electrical and the refrigeration side of this trade. Don't skimp on either, and since your background is electrical, double your caution not to skimp on refrigeration knowledge. It will be tempting to rely on what you know, when what you don't know can kick your butt.

Welcome to the forum!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Hmm

Hi, I am curious as to why you have to;

1. be a professional member to have access to the training information.
    2. Have a post count of 15 to apply for a professional membership.
    Thanks,

cuz the owners of the site, said so .........jk...

Talking

lol

Answer to question 2.
    Most DIYers won't hang around long enough to get 15 post. And then follow through with the application.
    Anxwer to question 1.
    If pro membership wasn't required to access the training forums. Then DIYers, could learn what they needed to DIY.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

South Mississippi on the Golden Gulf Coast. 100 degree heat and 90% pluss humidty.
    enjoy the ride it is an EXPERIENCE.

I have just started an HVAC program so although I enjoy helping people I don’t know enough to post responses to questions and concerns.
    I know one never stops learning but you learn the most when you start something new, so that is when you need the most help.
    I guess I will wait patiently.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by DKPAT View Post
    I have just started an HVAC program so although I enjoy helping people I don’t know enough to post responses to questions and concerns.
    I know one never stops learning but you learn the most when you start something new, so that is when you need the most help.
    I guess I will wait patiently.

Thanks,
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. I don't really know enough to answer anyone's questions and don't wanna make a fool of myself either. I'm more interested in just reading and learning right now. But then again it's only 15 posts and this one is another step closer. I just asked a question about leak detectors in another forum. 15 isn't gonna take that long.

Welcome to the club.

I have a website that is open to anyone, but the so-called DIY'ers roll their eyes & go elsewhere. It is extremely dangerous for the unskilled in this trade to mess with their HVAC system & can also illicit a big fine.

They don't have the test instruments or the motivation to accomplish anything of significance, or that is legal regarding HVAC/R.

I know the electrical trouble shooting side of it very well but leave that off my pages.

If you want to learn a little about proper air flow, duct systems & the refrigerant system - hop abroad. Click udarrell.

I assure anyone in this business, you will gain business when they discover their system is way below par. When they read my pages, they know they need a skilled pro to do the job for them.

It is way over their head, & that is what they all tell me!
    They say, well that stuff really confuses me, I need someone that knows this stuff to come here & fix this problem.

So, they call Mr Bill, shophound or teddy... better yet beenthere. - Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by DKPAT View Post
    Hi, I am curious as to why you have to;

1. be a professional member to have access to the training information.
    2. Have a post count of 15 to apply for a professional membership.
    Thanks,
    15 post are easy to get go the joke section of the board and tell a few different jokes or just reply to a few threads. Ask questions that won't get you in trouble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast