Looking for a technician in central NJ 08807

I have 17 years old TRANE TTR042C100A0. Recently its performance went down quite a bit. Compressor is still kicking but the pressure difference in HI and LO is about 5psi (according to the guy who checked it), and the refrigerant seems to be ok. Looks like a call for a new comp. Here is when it gets interesting, all the quotes I'm getting from local shops is around $REMOVED to replace the compressor/filter/dryer, etc. (just bad enough too spook into ordering a new unit ;-). I understand there is a lot of work/equipment is involved, but with parts cost around $REMOVED what is that I'm paing $REMOVED for?

I've seen an ad from a guy in MD: REMOVED who does it at a reasonable price, is there some local freelancer to take the job?

Thanks.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-24-2009 at 06:20 PM.

From the top of the page:

"Residential HVAC Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, please read Site Rules"

I think the "no pricing police" are on their way. Hear the sirens?

This thread will be closed very soon.

BeenThere: Where you be?

Please read our forum rules before posting further, there is a link in my sig line

You will also notice that this is a "Professional" forum, no side jobbers or freelancers here. Based on the fact that you are looking for a side jobber, this thread is closed!