Question about filters

We have a 2007 Lennox H/AC with an AirBear filter (merv8). Can I replace it with a merv16 filter of the same size. I have asthma and would like to improve IAQ reasonably if possible.
    Thank you for any help you can give me. Dot

MERV 16 is not a good idea!

Merv 16 is not a good idea at all. First off it won't make a huge change in your air quality and second, it may cause damage to the unit, as it would have to work much harder to keep up with the system demand for air flow. Other things could go wrong too, but thats just keeping it simple. I would stay within the units filter requirements and maybe look into some sort of a air cleaner system.

A good idea would be to clean the actual unit & maybe even try getting the duck work cleaned too!

I hope this helps!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    We have a 2007 Lennox H/AC with an AirBear filter (merv8). Can I replace it with a merv16 filter of the same size. I have asthma and would like to improve IAQ reasonably if possible.
    Thank you for any help you can give me. Dot
    You need to find a local Pro that can test the Static(resistance to air flow),and advise how high the pressure drop of the filter can be ,with the existing ducts.

Plus the cost to modify the return ducts to allow the use of a more restrictive filter.

16 could easily kill your furnace. The hvac system is not there to clean the air in your home, although it can help.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

have the installer check you pressures and see if the 16 will work.

it may slide right into the cabinet you have if it is a healthy climate cabinet.

gotta love those air bears