Is it worth it?? 20 seer vs 16 seer

I'm soliciting bids for a dual fuel system for a house I'm building in western NC. Looks like a 2.5 or 3 ton HP is going to work. I don't have much need for the cool side of the HP but can use all the heat I can get. My original plan was to just get a 15 seer unit that was single stage and just accept that it would be overkill on the cool side. Then, both the Carrier and Trane reps said that for just a "few dollars more" I could upgrade to a 16 seer unit that would be a two stage HP with the idea that the cool side would probably just operate on the first stage of cool. That seemed like a pretty good idea to me. Now another Trane dealer is trying to convince me that instead of a 16 seer unit I should go with their 20 seer unit because he says it actually has 2 compressors, instead of just one. Obviously there is more cost involved.

What do you pros think? Is it worth it to have 2 separate compressors? As I previously said, the cool side is not a big deal for me. Also, I thought I had read in these forums some time ago that the higher seer units were less reliable than some of the more 'standard' units.

Please give me some of your thoughts. I'm sort of leaning to the thought that 20 seer is overkill for my needs.

Thanks,

lksmith

2 stage condensers are good for long summer climates with high humidity. They don't have any real benifit for a heating climate.

The pro's need to answer:

"What is the capacity split on a 3-ton XL16i and the 20i Trane heat pump?"

The splits aren't always 50/50 on the dual stage condensers. Some are more like 80/20.

Good luck.

I believe the XL20i is 50% on low; the 16i is 75% on low. (Is that what you mean by capacity split?? :tard: )

I had thought that the XL15i was the one with the great HP numbers.

If you don't have much need for the cooling then just use a dehumidifier if that is even necessary if the single stage unit allows the humidity to climb too high.

Get a manual J done and post the heat vs. cool loads and I'm sure someone can find a good match.

I'm not figuring in the energy rebate so that may play a role also.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    Is that what you mean by capacity split??
    Yes - thank you.

You surely don`t need a 20 seer I would have told that sales guy to leave my house right now tring to sell me a 20 seer.Sounds like all you need is a 15 seer.

I did a Manual J calculation using an outside temperature of 30 degrees, figuring that's about all I'd get out of a HP. Here are the loads...

Total heat gain: 17,000 BTUH
    Total heat loss: 27,500 BTUH

Thanks for all of your inputs so far. And just to reiterate, we have coolish summers up here in the mountains. The last home I owned up here (before I donated it to my ex) didn't even have an AC--just a furnace, and there probably weren't 10 days in the summer when I wished I had an AC.

lksmith

consider that when it is around 50 degrees out side and you only need minimum heat it would be a good time to have a 20i running in first stage heat