Goodway Tube cleaner review

I just finished up using a Goodway Ream-a-Matic tube cleaning machine for the first time and would like to share my thoughts. It is definetely better than our old way of doing it by hand.

Model
    Ram-4-60

Manufacturer website
    http://www.goodway.com/client_ucs/pr...-ram-4-60.aspx

We used this machine to clean two 30ton condenser cooling barrels. Tube size was 5/8". We used the Goodway Spin-Grit brushes.

Approximate cleaning time per barrel was 1 hour.

Head psi dropped from 250psi to 200psi and we had to adjust flow control valves to get head back up to 210psi that the chiller calls for.

Pros:
    This machine works great and is very easy to use. I really like the fact that water is injected through the cable and on to the brush while its feeding through the tubes. The forward/reverse foot switch is nice and the brush and cable assembly will feed itself in and out of the tubes. There is an adjustable positive stop on the cable that you can set to keep the brush from pushing all the way out of the other side of the barrel. The brush assembly we used cleaned very nicely. However I would like to add that we had no clogged tubes and only slight calcium build up in the tubes. The tube machine seems to be very well built and designed and comes in a nice roll around package. Power cord length is about 15' and comes with a built in GFCI.

Cons:
    This is an expensive unit for what it does. I actually borrowed it but cost is around $1500. The foot pedal only comes with a 10' long hose and if you are in tight quarters this is not enough. The cable used to feed the brush is very touchy. Make sure you don't have a bend radius of less than 3' because the cable will bind.

Overall if I did not have a source to loan me this unit I would buy one to clean 4 30 ton condenser barrels annually. I like it that much.

Ive been using our shops goodway machine the past few weeks and its pretty nice. I used some blue nylon type brushes that the shop had for it. I learned quickly not to use a brush that seems to be the right size for the hole, use one the next size down. Otherwise once its a few feet in it tends to get stuck and the cable gets all twisted up and eventually snaps back at the unit.

It works pretty damn good tho, cleaned some water cooled condensers that were going off on head pressure and then after cleaning were several pounds low on charge. One went from a 28deg approach down to a normal 10deg approach. So it definitely works well.

The brushes I mentioned are designed to be oversized in the tube so the bristle will lay flat and make better contact with the tube wall.

On my accounts we punch probably 35,000 to 40,000 tubes between 20 and 30 feet long a winter with this one;

http://www.goodway.com/client_ucs/pr...-5sfvs-60.aspx

I rebuild it about once a season, new bearings, seals, etc. We go thru between 500 and a 1000 brushes in the winter. We have the cable repair kit and go thru 3 to 5 cables over the winter. Goodway loves us.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

That's a nice unit but doing that many tubes it's easy to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    On my accounts we punch probably 35,000 to 40,000 tubes between 20 and 30 feet long a winter with this one;

http://www.goodway.com/client_ucs/pr...-5sfvs-60.aspx

I rebuild it about once a season, new bearings, seals, etc. We go thru between 500 and a 1000 brushes in the winter. We have the cable repair kit and go thru 3 to 5 cables over the winter. Goodway loves us.

Yeah that about the same number as me. About 35-40 tubes per brush, then you can feel it going through the tube to easy.

Good machine and it's WAY better than by hand.

Had a speed-feed at Trane and loved it. Just have a regular Goodway and an apprentice now. Love that more!
    Low Pressure Forever!

If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

[QUOTE=absrbrtek;3980792]On my accounts we punch probably 35,000 to 40,000 tubes between 20 and 30 feet long a winter with this one;

Thats a lot of freakin tube punching!