Air Flow Question(s)

Hello all,
    I have a central air and heat unit in my home. I would like to know the formula or the rules for how much air flow is needed for each room (based on square footage). Also does the size of the vent determine the max air flow? I also know there is a tool I can buy that can tell me how much air is being pushed out of the bedroom vents and can read how much air is getting sucked into the A/C. Please forgive me for not using the correct industry wording. The reason why I am asking these questions is because I don’t think there is enough cool air getting to the master bedroom.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by chargedbird View Post
    Hello all,
    I have a central air and heat unit in my home. I would like to know the formula or the rules for how much air flow is needed for each room (based on square footage). Also does the size of the vent determine the max air flow? I also know there is a tool I can buy that can tell me how much air is being pushed out of the bedroom vents and can read how much air is getting sucked into the A/C. Please forgive me for not using the correct industry wording. The reason why I am asking these questions is because I don’t think there is enough cool air getting to the master bedroom.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    The professionals have not got around to answering your question yet... I am a homeowner who has been studying for my own house a few years. The short answer is, any answer based on square footage will be grossly inaccurate and will not make you comfortable. If you perceive the master bedroom is not getting enough cool air, I cannot think of any reason to say you are wrong. You are the intelligent human being who knows the master bedroom is not cool enough.

If you want to do things the fully correct way, you do a room-by-room measurement of heat gain, and that will be proportional to the airflow you need for comfort. The relatively simple HVAC-CALC program can let you do this for yourself with a couple hours work -- mainly measuring walls and windows and keying that data into the program. I have gone through that and it's well worth the $XX software license.

Or... you could pick a good local pro and he will have his professional opinion. Even money says he will get you additional airflow to correct your complaint<g>. I went through that too, first by adding a bedroom return and later supplementing that with a larger duct to that room.

Best of luck -- Pstu