mixing an old 502 with a new 404a

mixing an old 502 with a new 404a

I have a 502 low temp water cooled consdensing unit which is working fine but the water bill is huge. I would like to install a new remote an air cooled 404a condensing unit and hold onto the water cooled one in case of super high ambient conditions or just as a back up. Both units will never run at the same time. What gas should I use? Will having mineral oil and POE in the same system be a problem? Can and should I put POE into the old compressor? What will POE do to gaskets/TXV which have had mineral oil? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by merl View Post
    I have a 502 low temp water cooled consdensing unit which is working fine but the water bill is huge. I would like to install a new remote an air cooled 404a condensing unit and hold onto the water cooled one in case of super high ambient conditions or just as a back up. Both units will never run at the same time. What gas should I use? Will having mineral oil and POE in the same system be a problem? Can and should I put POE into the old compressor? What will POE do to gaskets/TXV which have had mineral oil? Am I missing something?

PLEASE call a contractor beforew you do anything that will hurt you or our equipment
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

Quote Originally Posted by merl View Post
    Call a pro this is not a DIY site.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    I think we should add another category to these boards.

Something like DIYer's don't do this. The posts could be from those who try these neat new ways to use their equipment.

In this case I would love to see how this turns out for this guy.

I will tell you one thing removing the 410a from a Lennox 13ACX-036 and dropping in R-22 does not work too good. One of my customers drilled a screw through his liquid line while covering the unit with a lattice box. His neighbor soldered the hole shut with his wifes stained glass soldering iron and some lead. Next he dropped in some R-22 he had in the garage.

Interesting call, the customer didn't mention any of the above, figured he would get a free call or maybe a warranty. I wish I had been there when the unit was first running, the compressor was seized when I checked it.

The compressor is in the warranty period, but I don't think installing a new one is going to be a long term fix.
    He told me someone might vandalize or steal this unit when he is away this weekend.
    I hear nothing! See you Monday.

better idea, put in the 404 air cooled unit with new evaporator and line set. And then scrap the 502 unit.

I thought i asked a silly question