Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 34

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    110

    Can we talk about Swamp Coolers here?

    I came across this forum while looking for a place to voice my disappointment for the new Champion Evaporator Coolers, but I donít see anything on swamps here. I donít really have a question unless someone has something to add.

    I live in the desert where it is hot and dry which is Prime Swamp Cooler territory. Anyway I just replaced two swamp coolers and the pumps that came with them are crap. If wasnít such a big job of taking them down, I would have returned them. Lucky I still had the old ones and salvaged the old pumps from them. The new pumps leak air and the bubbly water is not able to reach the spill trough.

    Iíve had the old ones for 15 years and Iíve been real happy with them. I change the pads twice a season and only needed to replace the fan belt and bearings every 5 years. I did have to replace the original pump once because I accidently squirted it with the hose while cleaning it and it burnt up.

    I still have my split AC unit for those few days that we get rain and the humidity is high, but I try not to use it because of the high electric rates here.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB60 View Post
    I came across this forum while looking for a place to voice my disappointment for the new Champion Evaporator Coolers, but I donít see anything on swamps here. I donít really have a question unless someone has something to add.

    I live in the desert where it is hot and dry which is Prime Swamp Cooler territory. Anyway I just replaced two swamp coolers and the pumps that came with them are crap. If wasnít such a big job of taking them down, I would have returned them. Lucky I still had the old ones and salvaged the old pumps from them. The new pumps leak air and the bubbly water is not able to reach the spill trough.

    Iíve had the old ones for 15 years and Iíve been real happy with them. I change the pads twice a season and only needed to replace the fan belt and bearings every 5 years. I did have to replace the original pump once because I accidently squirted it with the hose while cleaning it and it burnt up.

    I still have my split AC unit for those few days that we get rain and the humidity is high, but I try not to use it because of the high electric rates here.
    I hate swamp coolers. I'm in Albuquerque and most of the older homes here have them. It's funny, 10 or so years ago if you asked a builder for refrigerated air they looked at you like you were nuts, but now that's pretty much all they put in unless you are at the bottom end of the price range.

    I hate them because I have allergies and they pull in massive amounts of outside air and humidify it, giving the pollen a nice way to move around your house. The pollen loves it!

    This is why I'm pulling out my swamp cooler and putting in refrigerated air. Efficiency is so much better these days that the operating cost difference is much smaller, and then there's the water used.

    The only swamp cooler I MIGHT consider is the Coolerado, and then I'd have to filter the crap out of the intake air to make it livable.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    I hate them because I have allergies and they pull in massive amounts of outside air and humidify it, giving the pollen a nice way to move around your house. The pollen loves it!
    Wow, thatís the 1st time Iíve heard that. My wife has allergies and she has never complained. In fact she does complain about the refrigerated air because it dries up her sinuses and she gets nose bleeds. I guess I could add a humidifier, but then that with the AC unit will drive my electric bill really high.

    My house came with refrigerated air and after I put in my swamp, the whole neighborhood installed them. The electric Supplier gives huge discounts if you allow them to shut off the AC whenever they want. They also give rebates if you put a swamp in.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB60 View Post
    Wow, thatís the 1st time Iíve heard that. My wife has allergies and she has never complained. In fact she does complain about the refrigerated air because it dries up her sinuses and she gets nose bleeds. I guess I could add a humidifier, but then that with the AC unit will drive my electric bill really high.

    My house came with refrigerated air and after I put in my swamp, the whole neighborhood installed them. The electric Supplier gives huge discounts if you allow them to shut off the AC whenever they want. They also give rebates if you put a swamp in.
    We can get a rebate here too, but only for the Coolerado or Oasis, and the rebates are small. We also have the power company peak-load shut-off discount, but only if it's connected to your AC compressor.

    Your AC is older, like 10 SEER?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Colorado flatland native
    Posts
    15,067
    I hate Swamp Coolers
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    2,485
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    I hate Swamp Coolers
    You da man!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Several Miles from Sane
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    I hate Swamp Coolers
    You would, you only do A/C anyway (LOL).

    I have 2 on the place and mostly like the air throughput (remember they are 100% OSA). Plus the Utility bill is a bunch smaller than the neighbor with central A/C by about $40.00/mo.

    I don't know if I would put in A/C even buying it at wholesale.

    It's really nice in the evenings when we can simply use the fan and "Ventilate" the house.

    I disagree about the 80* comment. If you do your homework the measured (DB) discaharge air temp drop should run 25 degree Delta T from OSA DB. I think the RSES SAM manual has a section that makes reference to a 34 Theoretical DeltaT but I can't find it right now. Lat time I checked it costs about 6 cents/hr to operate a EC (Swamp cooler) compared to around 26-30 cents/hr for A/C. If that has changed sigificantly I sure someone will correct me.
    Last edited by Cagey57; 09-03-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Thought of more stuff.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

    All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Keokuk, IA
    Posts
    5,520
    It's amazing... they're in a desert with a limited water supply from the CO river, and Lake Mead getting lower every year, but they still allow evaporative coolers?

    If they priced water based more on future supply rather than current supply, the swamp coolers would disapear overnight.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Bennington, Vermont U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,864
    Why cool swamps? Around here the ducks fly south every year and the swamps freeze all by themselves. Welcome to the great northeast.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    110

    water usage isn't even enough to talk about.

    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    It's amazing... they're in a desert with a limited water supply from the CO river, and Lake Mead getting lower every year, but they still allow evaporative coolers?

    If they priced water based more on future supply rather than current supply, the swamp coolers would disapear overnight.
    I don't think so.

    Water usage is very small compared to oil or coal to produce electricity.
    The water in a swamp cooler is collected in the bottom and recycled through the pads. The only water usage is the evaporated water.

    According to the consumerenergycenter.org, a swamp cooler can use between 3 to 15 gallons of water a day under normal conditions. Itís been a while since I actually measured it, but that about right. I use more water to water my lawn and I read somewhere that the evaporated water from a swimming pool was far more than a swamp cooler.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,411
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB60 View Post
    I don't think so.

    Water usage is very small compared to oil or coal to produce electricity.
    The water in a swamp cooler is collected in the bottom and recycled through the pads. The only water usage is the evaporated water.

    According to the consumerenergycenter.org, a swamp cooler can use between 3 to 15 gallons of water a day under normal conditions. It’s been a while since I actually measured it, but that about right. I use more water to water my lawn and I read somewhere that the evaporated water from a swimming pool was far more than a swamp cooler.
    How about 3 to 15 gallons per hour! You should be bleeding off 12oz. of water every 90 seconds to keep your scale down. Do the math.

    Don't believe me, turn off your water for an hour and look in the wet section.
    Last edited by jimj; 07-20-2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

    Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    How about 3 to 15 gallons per hour! You should be bleeding off 12oz. of water every 90 seconds to keep your scale down. Do the math.

    Don't believe me, turn off your water for an hour and look in the wet section.
    No, I don't bleed anything off. I don't believe you have yours set up right. because mine runs great. We actually are banned from bleed off. It’s against the law and has a hefty fine. I know the manufacture suggests bleed off to prevent mineral deposits, but I have never done it in 20 years. Like I said I change my pads along with a water change twice a seasion and that’s it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,411
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB60 View Post
    No, I don't bleed anything off. Like I said I change my pads along with a water change twice a seasion and thatís it.
    To funny, you change your water twice a year?
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

    Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event