Question Questions about Trane units

Four questions please about system I'm having installed:

(1) Condensor: Trane XR13 model #4TTR3048. There wasn't an "A" at the end of the model number on the proposal sheet, but had the "A" on the end on Trane's website. Is it the same with or without the "A" at the end?

(2) Evaporator Coil: Trane model #4TXFH054, slab coil. I couldn't find this on Trane's website, is it new or something?. And, does it have TXV?

(3) Furnace/Air Handler: Trane XR80, model #TUD1C100A9481A. The "1A" at the end wasn't on the proposal sheet, but it was on the end of the model number on Trane's site. Is this the same with or without the "1A" at the end?

(4) My 20 x 36 x 1 pleated filter arches up considerably when my current system is on and I think we're just using it with the new system. Is it supposed to arch up like that or is the air flow being restricted? Should I use the cheap blue filter instead?

1. 4TTR3048 is short for 4TTR3048A1000A.

2. R-410A TXV factory installed. Trane doesn't list the slab coil on their website but it's commonly used in attic installs.

3. Probably similar situation as above.

4. Is the filter grille really close to the furnace? The duct leading to it could be undersized.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    1. 4TTR3048 is short for 4TTR3048A1000A.

2. R-410A TXV factory installed. Trane doesn't list the slab coil on their website but it's commonly used in attic installs.

3. Probably similar situation as above.

4. Is the filter grille really close to the furnace? The duct leading to it could be undersized.
    That's weird for #1 because even the Trane website lists it as 4TTR3048A.

As for the filter grille...the filter is in the ceiling and then there is about 12 feet of ductwork from the filter to the unit in the attic. Looks like a large piece of ductwork diameter wise, although not sure exact size.

Quote Originally Posted by readytobecool View Post
    That's weird for #1 because even the Trane website lists it as 4TTR3048A.
    The 9th digit is used to indicate major design variations.
    For instance, if they decided to start using a different compressor in it next week, all the new units that came off the line with the new compressor would have a B there.
    Everything after the 8th digit in the model number is only important if a tech is ordering a part.

I leave them out when I list the model numbers on a proposal because there are people out there who try to use any little thing, like a minor difference in model numbers, to try to get out of paying AFTER the work is done.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

ok,,thanks. What about the filter behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by readytobecool View Post
    ok,,thanks. What about the filter behavior?
    Your system has a pretty big filter, the filter grill really should have some sort of support bar across the middle to keep the filter from doing that.
    With no center support, I'd expect a 20x26 filter to bow a lot, maybe even get sucked out of the frame.

The reality of the situation is that having just one large central return, with no dedicated return path from bedrooms and such, is a bad design. The little 1" gap under the doors doesn't count.
    The return duct is virtually always undersized too.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

nope,,,no support bar for the filter. and, it's actually a 20 x 36 one.

Should I maybe have one of those trane 5" media filters installed rather than using the 1" pleated filter that I had been using? What's the advantage of the media filter? Better filtration I imagine, but will air flow suffer too?

I had one of those in my last house, but they're kind of a pain though because they never had the size I needed at the store, and I had to order it online from home depot when ever I was replacing the filter. The 1" ones seem much easier to find at stores.

Edit: They're here installing the system now. They want too much to put the media filter in I think, four hundred bucks extra, so I'm just sticking with the 1" one for now. They are not using the existing 20 x 36 x 1 filter that I had been using with the old system, they said they are using the 1" one on the furnace which is going to be 20 x 25 x 1.