Thread: Vent Temp on New Install

Post Likes

Vent Temp on New Install

I just had a new Amana 18 Seer AC installed yesterday, they installed a completely new system including coil, furnace, copper, etc/. The inside temp in the morning is currently 76 but the vent temp is only 61. That seems too warm for the air coming out of the vents.

They also told me they are coming back today to install a different thermostat but I dont see how that should affect the temp of the vent air.

The system seems to be running at full speed so it seems to me something is not right. I was expecting the vent air to be around 50.

Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRashTX View Post
    I just had a new Amana 18 Seer AC installed yesterday, they installed a completely new system including coil, furnace, copper, etc/. The inside temp in the morning is currently 76 but the vent temp is only 61. That seems too warm for the air coming out of the vents.

They also told me they are coming back today to install a different thermostat but I dont see how that should affect the temp of the vent air.

The system seems to be running at full speed so it seems to me something is not right. I was expecting the vent air to be around 50.

Any thoughts?
    Guessing that the dip switches at the air handler are not set properly, and you're getting too high of an air flow.

Post Likes
    I was expecting the vent air to be around 50.

Any thoughts?
    Don't even expect the vent temps to be that cold in the new stuff, only the old school systems did that, get yourself a "good" temp checker and check the TD "Temperature Differential" between the return right at the furnace or air handler and the supply right after the coil. Humidity in the home can have a huge factor on a TD also, when they come back just ask them politely if they could please recheck the charge, and make sure when they do, they have a clamp on temp meter of some sort clamped onto the line, if not there guessing.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Don't expect the supply register temp to be 26° cooler then the return temp.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help guys. I grabbed a couple of different thermometers I had and just rechecked the vent temp. One thermo says 48 and the other says 52. They also just came out and changed out the thermostat with one that works with the variable speed
    Last edited by RoadRashTX; 07-14-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Post Likes
    Hmm...I read through the entire thread and didn't pick up any indication the OP was uncomfortable, just that the air temperature at one of his supply registers concerned him.

Many things affect air outlet temperatures; humidity, heat gain to ducts run through attics, distance of duct runs, airflow setting of blower, cleanliness of filter, refrigerant charge, etc. With a properly installed and operating system, supply air temperatures will vary with the heat load of the house, including moisture heat load. Also, as air temperatures increase outdoors, the ability of the system to reject heat from the house via the condenser will decrease at some point. This can also affect supply air temperatures.

Bottom line for homeowner: if it is working well, keep it clean! Clean systems are happy systems.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    keep it clean! Clean systems are happy systems.

Your right! and this also goes for our body's this is why Mr. Bill don't drink or smoke and eats right so my system will be a happy one.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Your right! and this also goes for our body's this is why Mr. Bill don't drink or smoke and eats right so my system will be a happy one.
    If I didn't have drinking, smoking cigs, and White Castle cheeseburgers to look forward to when I got home, I would probably kick my dog or something.
    I will agree that preventative maintenance is the key to longevity though. I take an aspirin every night before bed.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Post Likes
    Hey all,

One other quick question. What is the coolest I should expect my interior temp to be on a day where it is 104 outside (Texas)?

I had the AC set at 78 all day and I just got home and it is showing 82, is that reasonable?

thanks

Post Likes
    A 22° difference on a 104°, I think thats pretty good.

Post Likes
    I also assume that attic temp also plays a big part in interior temp. Currently we only have 2 turbines on our house and I dont think they are cooling the attic efficiently. I am considering getting 1 or 2 additional ones installed. Any opinions?

Also, what do you guys think about solar screens? a little off topic.

Post Likes
    Before you add more.

Make sure you have enough air coming into the attic for the 2 you have to work.

Post Likes
    Hey all,

One other quick question. What is the coolest I should expect my interior temp to be on a day where it is 104 outside (Texas)?

I had the AC set at 78 all day and I just got home and it is showing 82, is that reasonable?

thanks
    It's only reasonable if you're comfortable inside at 82 degrees when it is 104 degrees outside.

I would find it unacceptable. I can hold 75 in my house when it is 104 outside. 75 degrees at 44% relative humidity feels very nice when it is 104 degrees outside. 82...I'd be climbing the walls.

Solar screens are not exactly off topic, for they can help reduce heat gain through windows, especially single pane windows. They will reduce the light level from the windows where they are installed, but Texas summers are glary...sun screens can bring some welcome relief in two ways. They will not perform on the same level as double pane low e argon filled thermally improved frame windows will, but they are a less expensive alternative.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    changing t-stat won,t change vent temp

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in