Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the disconnects are mounted to the electrical compartment covers on the units you replaced?
    Thats what I was thinking.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

Not bad...I just don't care for the metal tape or blue tape....but in a pinch I would use purple tape

Big improvement. Why pull out discos on a comm job?
    I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, and too old to take an ass whoopin

Quote Originally Posted by praha99 View Post
    No red tagging in Illinois. Units are 100% serviceable. Lets see some pics of your 1966 building. I need to learn how to do things correctly
    Does Illinois have a mechanical code or at least want the manufacturers guidelines followed on the installation of equipment?

Does Illinois even inspect jobs like this?

I wouldn't install the condensers that close even if the mechanical inspector said it was OK, because American Standard doesn't want them that close together.

When I get the building finished, I will post some pictures, I am doing more than just the mechanical on the job I am doing a complete level III renovation/addition, so far I have pulled about 21 permits for this job and it does not include the subs permits like the roofer and the electrician.

We have had about 15-20 inspections so far and no red tags or correction notices, the building inspector has asked for more details to be added to the plans and the plumbing inspector eliminated a dry vent at 1st floor rough in, even though it was on the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    The condensing units look like they are too close to each other.
    Not only that I would have supported the linesets and I dont think having J-boxes unsupported in the middle of the sealtight is legal according to NEC Code. Hell of a difference though.

Quote Originally Posted by praha99 View Post
    HA I knew someone would say that. Always with the negativity lol I love it!.

Well Bwalley unless you have some levitating units theres nothing I can do about that , platform were sized for 1970 sized units
    It is what it is, it`ll be fine.

Bwally was asking what I was thinking, your response shows you may be thin skinned. You posted on the wall of pride, you should expect some feed back. So, here comes some feed back ... you are wearing sneakers, that's a big no-no here, you have pipes that apparently do levitate as there is no support for them. The disconnects are mounted on the service panels, some stretched tight, the refrigerant lines are not straight and there are a lot of lazy bends. What is with the metal tape, I see a bunch of guys here do that, to me it looks terrible. This is just me, if I was doing the job I would have wood on hand to enlarge the platforms so I had more room, after all they are re-roofing and could roof a bigger platform no problem. Work under those conditions is tough, so some stuff gets not done the way you would like and that sucks. I have been on similar jobs and know it is frustrating, to much mess, to many guys, not enough time, budget constraints, to hot, to cold, to many boss’s. At the end it is done and they are running OK so all is well.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

LOL at the metal tape liquid line support!

IMO, the minimum would have been wire ties.

How come some units have filter driers and some don't?

Like others have said....you left it in better shape than you got it.
    Never let weakness convince you that you lack strength.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrfan View Post
    LOL at the metal tape liquid line support!

IMO, the minimum would have been wire ties.

Like others have said....you left it better than when you got there.
    As a professional shouldn't it be done to code and/or manufacturer recomended specifications?

Or is better than it was when you got there, good enough?

Running the condenser's so close together is not going to allow them to work as efficiently as they were designed to, they will work but at reduced efficiency and possibly lower service life of the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    As a professional shouldn't it be done to code and/or manufacturer recomended specifications?

Or is better than it was when you got there, good enough?

Running the condenser's so close together is not going to allow them to work as efficiently as they were designed to, they will work but at reduced efficiency and possibly lower service life of the equipment.
    You Florida guys kill me with all your code babble. I am sure you are a great contractor. You sound like you want it done right and I admire that. However, I must say that after several years running service in the great state of Florida, there is more back alley, hacked up, disgusting crap in Tampa than I have seen in 20 years in Indiana and Ohio. Inspectors must have skipped those installs. Also, keep in mind that you are a building contractor. So that means you make the final decision on how something is done. You control your own budget. You could have held off the roofers or fabricated the stands onsite. Doesn't sound like this guy had that luxury. I also think he is aware of American Standard's installation guidlines and knows that he fudged it a bit. He was proud of his guys for working in those conditions 4 hours from home. You have made your point. Have a beer and relax.

Looks like a nice job to me. I would be shocked if the distance between the units had any affect on the performance. Laughable.

better than when you found it but still a lot of room for improvement
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by daytonafan View Post
    You Florida guys kill me with all your code babble. I am sure you are a great contractor. You sound like you want it done right and I admire that. However, I must say that after several years running service in the great state of Florida, there is more back alley, hacked up, disgusting crap in Tampa than I have seen in 20 years in Indiana and Ohio. Inspectors must have skipped those installs. Also, keep in mind that you are a building contractor. So that means you make the final decision on how something is done. You control your own budget. You could have held off the roofers or fabricated the stands onsite. Doesn't sound like this guy had that luxury. I also think he is aware of American Standard's installation guidlines and knows that he fudged it a bit. He was proud of his guys for working in those conditions 4 hours from home. You have made your point. Have a beer and relax.
    I am not only a Building Contractor, I am an HVAC Contractor and a Plumbing Contractor as well.

One reason why I have so many licenses is because I got tired of arguing with subs about the proper way to do a job, many of the subs think if you can slide it by the inspector all is good.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
    Looks like a nice job to me. I would be shocked if the distance between the units had any affect on the performance. Laughable.
    Why do equipment manufacturers have minimum distances between condensing units if it doesn't affect performance?

Units that close will definately affect performance and could shorten the equipment life, but the contractor has already cashed the check and will not have to deal with it, so all is good, right??

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast