Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Thread: Roof job finally done.. warning I posted a book

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    Andrew's biggest impact on you is the power was out and you missed seasame street

You are a funny guy.big2

BTW I am not in South Florida, so I didn't lose power.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Blah Blah Blah

I know many can throw stones at me ,I will not stoop that low

Guys let it go WE have work to do.
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zzonko View Post
    Chicago has some of the strictest building codes in the country.

DWV: no-hub cast iron and not PVC
    POTABLE: copper and not PVC.
    EMT & pulled instead of romex & greenfield
    sheet metal duct not duct board
    flex duct limited to five feet and we always went hard to the grills anyways
    Value & Quality & Durability drive price, not the other way around

I agree.

A lot of the stuff Chicago applies carries over to us up here.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

Post Likes
    Well,,,,that was fun.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    I see a certain poster has yet to post any pictures of their work.
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

Post Likes
    Wow this thread has been hilarious.I worked many years in Florida as an electrician on commercial jobs.We would do restaurants in smurf tube and high rise dwellings in romex.It was common to use the receptacle for the splice,Service entrance cables,Mini circuit breakers.On a good day you would see a spanish Bob Villa playing cowboy with a roll of 14/2 w.g romex throwing it like a lasso over metal studs and 3m electrical taping it to the structure.Moving back to Cleveland,Ohio this training made me a half ass residential dwelling electrician,Cost local 38 alot of money to retrain me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by warm beer View Post
    Wow this thread has been hilarious.I worked many years in Florida as an electrician on commercial jobs.We would do restaurants in smurf tube and high rise dwellings in romex.It was common to use the receptacle for the splice,Service entrance cables,Mini circuit breakers.On a good day you would see a spanish Bob Villa playing cowboy with a roll of 14/2 w.g romex throwing it like a lasso over metal studs and 3m electrical taping it to the structure.Moving back to Cleveland,Ohio this training made me a half ass residential dwelling electrician,Cost local 38 alot of money to retrain me.
    What specific buildings did you see this so I can report it to the local building department so it can get taken care of, as it obviously was not on a job that was permitted or inspected.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    The problem with no inspections and lack of licensing ends up having contractors doing the job to even lower standards then if there was even the minimal oversight.

The contractor here didn't even realize the job he was working on was considered a commercial job and that tennis shoes were not allowed on commercial jobs, he also mounted disconnects on the service panels of the condensing units.

Some people meet or exceed the code, others don't even have to worry about it because no one checks on their work.

The governments job is to protect the health and well being of the public, one way that is accomplished is through licensing of contractors and having minimum building code requirements, one reason why the United States doesn't have building and bridges collapsing on a regular basis like in other countries is because of building codes and the enforcement of them.

Here are a couple of RTU, we had to cut the roof to install the curbs.

raeely not worth posting but since you guys asked, I will post pictures of some of my other work.
    for some strange reason you seem to be impressed with your ability to cut through a roof....what kind of roof is this and what did you use to to support the new unit underneath?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    for some strange reason you seem to be impressed with your ability to cut through a roof....what kind of roof is this and what did you use to to support the new unit underneath?
    Before the roof was cut we welded 4" angle iron 1/4" thick to the existing bar joists to support the new RTU curb, installed the curb, had the roofer do his work, then installed the RTU per manufacturer's specifications.

The Roof is a metal pan roof with lightweight concrete and a 5 ply hot mop modified bitumen roof.

Does this sound like the proper way to do it?

BTW the heading below the Wall of Pride, says "Pictures of work done right!" not pictures of OK work that is better than it was before you started, or of work that is good enough.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjames View Post
    I see a certain poster has yet to post any pictures of their work.
    If you are talking about me, go back and read and try to comprehend my post, but I will type this real slow for you so you can understand it it better.

I said I don't take pictures of condensing units and and RTU's but I would be at a job that I had done earlier, I posted pictures of that work, I also said I am not sure how much you can tell by looking at a RTU.

Post Likes
    Before the roof was cut we welded 4" angle iron 1/4" thick to the existing bar joists to support the new RTU curb,

Who did the load calc?

-supertek65

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lash View Post
    Who did the load calc?
    A P.E. Sealed the plans, as plans sealed by a Registered Engineer or an Architect are required for a Permit for any structural work.

Post Likes
    If you are talking about me, go back and read and try to comprehend my post, but I will type this real slow for you so you can understand it it better.

I said I don't take pictures of condensing units and and RTU's but I would be at a job that I had done earlier, I posted pictures of that work, I also said I am not sure how much you can tell by looking at a RTU.
    Love the condescending tone,for all we know that`s not even your work,never mind all the reinforcing you "said "you did.
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

Post Likes
    Love the condescending tone,for all we know that`s not even your work,never mind all the reinforcing you "said "you did.
    Honestly i did that when i was a third year apprentice, freaking overhead burned the spit out of me. Plastic uniforms melted into my legs,,,,,i dont think i want to do that anymore.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    I hired the Draftsman that drew the plans, I hired the P.E. that sealed the plans, I pulled the permits for the job, I hired the Welder that installed the the angle, I cut the hole in the roof, I bought the curbs, I mounted the curbs, I hired the roofer, I hired the crane operator, i bought the RTU, I installed the RTU, I hired the electrician to wire it, I ran the low voltage, I installed the thermostat, my guys did the majority of ductwork, I did some of it, This is my work.

It is amazing how you "Professionals" defend work like praha did in this post, here he mounted disconnects to service panels, condensors are too close, had sloppy unsupported service lines, he said permits or a license, or even inspections are not required, I seriously doubt an Engineer or any other professional was involved with this job.

Post Likes
    I hired the Draftsman that drew the plans, I hired the P.E. that sealed the plans, I pulled the permits for the job, I hired the Welder that installed the the angle, I cut the hole in the roof, I bought the curbs, I mounted the curbs, I hired the roofer, I hired the crane operator, i bought the RTU, I installed the RTU, I hired the electrician to wire it, I ran the low voltage, I installed the thermostat, my guys did the majority of ductwork, I did some of it, This is my work.

You are God.

-supertek65

Post Likes
    as plans sealed by a Registered Engineer or an Architect are required for a Permit for any structural work.

Really?????

/sarcasm

-supertek65

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lash View Post
    You are God.
    I am not God.

Post Likes

It is amazing how you "Professionals" defend work like praha did in this post, here he mounted disconnects to service panels, condensors are too close, had sloppy unsupported service lines, he said permits or a license, or even inspections are not required, I seriously doubt an Engineer or any other professional was involved with this job.
    I really don't tink anybody is interested in paraha's install anymore. I think most of the attention has been drawn to you way up on your horse. whistle1

-supertek65

Post Likes
    The unprofessional behavior in this thread is absolutely appalling. Each of you should be embarrassed with your individual behavior. You drag this industry to new lows with this kind of rubbish.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in