Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Roof job finally done.. warning I posted a book

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    We did a job about five years ago, about twenty 7.5 ton splits. Well the original plan was to move all the units from half the roof to the other half while they did the roof. Then we would move all of them to the finished roof section and start re-installing the ones on that side. Sounds good ... oh but how plans change ... the roofers showed up and there were about thirty of them and they started working all over the place. Now there was no place to store the units or anything else. This was a wet mop and stone roof and "tar" was everywhere. What a mess, temperatures were in the nineties and everywhere you stepped tar came oozing out. We got the job done ... I was happy it was done ... I was not so happy with how it came out. For us it was time and material so I had hoped to correct some things about the original installation. So I do understand where he is coming from, he should try and understand where we are coming from.

Hey your post was a good one ...............................................

for a change ......

My meds must be working, sometimes i dont come across very well in print, had we talked in person im promise you wouldnt have been upset, im trying to learn from Robo
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    This thread sort of got out of hand. Looks like real clean work to me.

Post Likes
    only thing i would like to add is why didnt you change all the disconnects?

Post Likes

Damn.

I wouldn't have done it like this. Not a chance. Have to go more the Florida way here too. I fear the wind and mounting the disconnects on the equipment will get you fired.

But, I don't get many of these jobs cause there is a long line of contractors that will do it for way less, hoping to make up for it on the condemned units.

But, the REAL BIG BUT, is in 90% of the jobs I see like this make this job look beautiful.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by calebj77 View Post
    This thread sort of got out of hand. Looks like real clean work to me.
    That is because you don't know what a proper installation should look like, several issues were pointed out, yet people cried about the budget, if you can't do the job right, don't do it all.

BTW How much does a pair of work boots cost?

Post Likes

Talking

The few questions I have are:

Is the Customer Happy NOW?
    Did you make any money?
    Would you do it again?
    DON"T mess with the US
    I thought I had been there and done That.
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    I thought it would be better by now
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands & his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his head & his heart is an artist."
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Post Likes
    What did you do with the condensers while the roof was beenin topped?
    DON"T mess with the US
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    That is because you don't know what a proper installation should look like, several issues were pointed out, yet people cried about the budget, if you can't do the job right, don't do it all.

BTW How much does a pair of work boots cost?
    Pretty cocky for someone with zero responsibility there Wally. You the reason we sometimes FIRE people and enjoy it.
    Talk all you want to but you have no idea what you are talking about, your just a rude little person.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Pretty cocky for someone with zero responsibility there Wally. You the reason we sometimes FIRE people and enjoy it.
    Talk all you want to but you have no idea what you are talking about, your just a rude little person.

The guys pictures speak for themselves, it was not a job I would put on the wall of fame, but this guy did and when issues with it are pointed out (I was not the only 1 who was critical), he cries about it.

Post Likes
    No he didnt i was just defending him, there are alot of things that go into a job, besides do we know what it looked like before?

Post Likes
    No he didnt i was just defending him, there are alot of things that go into a job, besides do we know what it looked like before?
    Why does it matter what the job looked like before?

If you are called out to a job a hack worked on, are you going to do a 1/2 assed job, just because it may be a little better than it was before, or are you going to do the job the right way?

This was a new equipment changeout, it wasn't like he was just called out to service the units.

If you think he did a good job that is great, he wouldn't last long with me.

Post Likes
    The guys pictures speak for themselves, it was not a job I would put on the wall of fame, but this guy did and when issues with it are pointed out (I was not the only 1 who was critical), he cries about it.
    Softspoken A
    DON"T mess with the US
    ITS ALL ABOUT LEARNIN!
    ~St. Francis of Assisi

Post Likes

post up or shut up!

as i have stated before..if you don't have the "sack" to post up your own work..you shouldn't post about other people's work.

Post Likes
    Why does it matter what the job looked like before?

If you are called out to a job a hack worked on, are you going to do a 1/2 assed job, just because it may be a little better than it was before, or are you going to do the job the right way?

This was a new equipment changeout, it wasn't like he was just called out to service the units.

If you think he did a good job that is great, he wouldn't last long with me.
    In my 25 years, 5 yr apprenticeship 4 yr journeyman upgrade , i have NEVER seen anyone who runs their hole worth a cup of warm spit in the field. Your probably a liberal too.
    Talk is cheap wally as has been mentioned,post some picks of your work, if you have done any or have any. Remember not someone elses work, yours from your company, with your tools, and your van, insurance etc. There are times when everyone has to work under the constraints placed on us by our customers.

Post Likes
    In my 25 years, 5 yr apprenticeship 4 yr journeyman upgrade , i have NEVER seen anyone who runs their hole worth a cup of warm spit in the field. Your probably a liberal too.
    Talk is cheap wally as has been mentioned,post some picks of your work, if you have done any or have any. Remember not someone elses work, yours from your company, with your tools, and your van, insurance etc. There are times when everyone has to work under the constraints placed on us by our customers.
    I don't take pictures of A/C jobs but will post some of my comercial job when the units are installed.

If this guy was proud of that job, I would hate to see his mediocre jobs.

I am not a liberal, but you sound like one, are you in a Union?

If you think that was a good install, that is great, but it has a lot of issues with it, one reason could be because Illinois has lax licensing laws, no permit or inspections was required for that job.

Post Likes
    I don't take pictures of A/C jobs but will post some of my comercial job when the units are installed.

If this guy was proud of that job, I would hate to see his mediocre jobs.

I am not a liberal, but you sound like one, are you in a Union?

If you think that was a good install, that is great, but it has a lot of issues with it, one reason could be because Illinois has lax licensing laws, no permit or inspections was required for that job.
    Im anything but a liberal wally, but if you want to take some picks of the crane operators work setting rtu,s i will probably look at those too.
    That guy as you call him owns his company, has a trailer worth probably 50,000 dollars materials and equipment and has been in business for awhile. I dont expect you to understand what thay means since you would have probably camped on that roof until your employer went broke.
    But im sure it would have been picture perfect.
    And btw, just about anybody can work on rtu's so if thats the best you offer, im guessing you have no job security.
    Working now Wally?

Post Likes
    Im anything but a liberal wally, but if you want to take some picks of the crane operators work setting rtu,s i will probably look at those too.
    That guy as you call him owns his company, has a trailer worth probably 50,000 dollars materials and equipment and has been in business for awhile. I dont expect you to understand what thay means since you would have probably camped on that roof until your employer went broke.
    But im sure it would have been picture perfect.
    And btw, just about anybody can work on rtu's so if thats the best you offer, im guessing you have no job security.
    Working now Wally?
    I own my own company and I make sure my jobs are done right, they have to be because in Florida we have to pull permits and pass inspections.

I will make sure and take pictures when we are setting the units, we put the condensing units on stands, we can't just set them on the roof.

Our package units go on Curbs, we have to cut the holes in the deck for those, I will post pictures of it when we are doing it.

We are framing the building now, the stair guys are wrapping up the installation of the stairs on the west end tommorow.

I am not just a Licensed A/C Contractor, I am a Licensed Building Contractor as well, I sent a copy of my licenses to the membership committee, you can ask them what kind of licenses I have, I am also waiting on the state to issue my Plumbing Contractors License, in Florida we need to prove our knowledge and experience, we can't just say we are a contractor or buy a license.

Post Likes
    I own my own company and I make sure my jobs are done right, they have to be because in Florida we have to pull permits and pass inspections.

I will make sure and take pictures when we are setting the units, we put the condensing units on stands, we can't just set them on the roof.

Our package units go on Curbs, we have to cut the holes in the deck for those, I will post pictures of it when we are doing it.

We are framing the building now, the stair guys are wrapping up the installation of the stairs on the west end tommorow.

I am not just a Licensed A/C Contractor, I am a Licensed Building Contractor as well, I sent a copy of my licenses to the membership committee, you can ask them what kind of licenses I have, I am also waiting on the state to issue my Plumbing Contractors License, in Florida we need to prove our knowledge and experience, we can't just say we are a contractor or buy a license.
    Thats not true wally all you have to do is have 10,000 in the bank and the rest of the paperwork then pass their piddily test.
    btw are you building concrete homes down there? Last time i was in ft myers they were still using asphalt shingles, why i dont know.
    I think i would build a concrete house if i lived there.
    As far as the job is concerned you were not there on the job, you dont know anything about it, so posting insulting things about another member doesnt make you look good , quiet the opposite. There are better ways to do every job, maybe new pitch pockets and line sets would have been better, but we dont know what was in the job.

Post Likes
    Thats not true wally all you have to do is have 10,000 in the bank and the rest of the paperwork then pass their piddily test.
    btw are you building concrete homes down there? Last time i was in ft myers they were still using asphalt shingles, why i dont know.
    I think i would build a concrete house if i lived there.
    As far as the job is concerned you were not there on the job, you dont know anything about it, so posting insulting things about another member doesnt make you look good , quiet the opposite. There are better ways to do every job, maybe new pitch pockets and line sets would have been better, but we dont know what was in the job.
    Not many people can pass the states piddly test, did you have to take a test for your contractors license?

The state did away with the minimum amount of money required in the bank for licensing, there was a lawsuit about it and the group that filed against the state won.

The job I am talking about is a commercial job, since the pahra guy posted pictures of a commercial job, I would think you would want to see my commercial work.

I can show you pictures of an older job, it was done about 6 years ago, it is noting specail, but looks a lot better than the job he posted pictures of.

I was not on the job but I as well as anyone else can see the problems with it based on the pictures he posted of his great work.

Like I said if you think the job was good, that is great, IMO there are several issues with it and I was not the only one who brought them up.

Had the job been permitted and inspected, he may not have gotten away with it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    as i have stated before..if you don't have the "sack" to post up your own work..you shouldn't post about other people's work.
    Thats first, second post pictures of your own work. Yes i did take a state test plus all the other test, the upgrade had a passing of 6%
    Again there are things i would have done differently to, but its not the what you say its how you say it.
    And again neither of us was on that job, or know how or what it was bid. Anyone can throw another under a bus, but it still doesnt make the pusher look any better

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in