Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    Starting capicitor failures indicative of something else?

    I have a 15 year old Carrier tech2000ss which first required service a year ago to replace the starting capacitor - the replacement failed in a couple of days and the tech said it was a poor quality capacitor and replaced it with a better one. Well, its a year later and the starting cap failed again. The tech said this was indicative of the compressor going bad and that the next stop was a "hard start" - which might make the compressor go faster. I've got some guys coming to give estimates next week and was looking for some confirmation here that it is indeed a problem with the compressor.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,863
    Can't really tell from here.

    He's right about the quality of parts these days though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,875
    Just replaced one yesterday that was only 13 months old....felt bad that it was just out of it's one year warranty, so I cut the homeowner a break on the repair cost....he was happy....

    Here's the capacitor.....had blown a pinhole in the side of the can.....**** all over the unit.....nasty....

    I need a new signature.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    nw ohio
    Posts
    55
    I had a customer with the same problem acouple of years ago. He was burning one up every six to eight weeks. Finialy we changed the contactor even though it looked great and no voltage drop and we have had no problems yet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by btimms View Post
    I have a 15 year old Carrier tech2000ss which first required service a year ago to replace the starting capacitor - the replacement failed in a couple of days and the tech said it was a poor quality capacitor and replaced it with a better one. Well, its a year later and the starting cap failed again. The tech said this was indicative of the compressor going bad and that the next stop was a "hard start" - which might make the compressor go faster. I've got some guys coming to give estimates next week and was looking for some confirmation here that it is indeed a problem with the compressor.

    Thanks
    The biggest killer of start capacitors is faulty potential relays.
    Not replacing the potential relay when a start capacitor is a pretty sure way to generate a call back.

    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Just replaced one yesterday that was only 13 months old....felt bad that it was just out of it's one year warranty, so I cut the homeowner a break on the repair cost....he was happy....

    Here's the capacitor.....had blown a pinhole in the side of the can.....**** all over the unit.....nasty....
    Your picture is of a run capacitor, not a start capacitor.

    I've had a lot of issues with aftermarket run capacitors that are made in China.
    The Mars brand that are made in Mexico seem to hold up very well, and are the most common brand in the supply houses in my area.
    The Mars2 brand are made in China and are TOTAL junk.
    I wish I had a local supply for Made in USA AmRad capacitors, other than the Turbo caps they make.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    4,356
    And a dual one at that. Start caps have way higher mfd rating and usually have a bleed resister.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,863
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The biggest killer of start capacitors is faulty potential relays.
    Not replacing the potential relay when a start capacitor is a pretty sure way to generate a call back.



    Your picture is of a run capacitor, not a start capacitor.
    I think we assumed it was a run cap, because in the original post, it said , the next stop would be a hard start . Didn't it?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,875
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I think we assumed it was a run cap, because in the original post, it said , the next stop would be a hard start . Didn't it?
    Yup....I took it as the run cap that the OP was talking about.....

    Thank you guys for pointing out that I was wrong......AGAIN.....
    I need a new signature.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hell Hole Swamp
    Posts
    4,180
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Yup....I took it as the run cap that the OP was talking about.....

    Thank you guys for pointing out that I was wrong......AGAIN.....
    your wrong

    I had the same exact cap balloon up on my unit today

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,322
    Quote Originally Posted by btimms View Post
    I have a 15 year old Carrier tech2000ss which first required service a year ago to replace the starting capacitor - the replacement failed in a couple of days and the tech said it was a poor quality capacitor and replaced it with a better one. Well, its a year later and the starting cap failed again. The tech said this was indicative of the compressor going bad and that the next stop was a "hard start" - which might make the compressor go faster. I've got some guys coming to give estimates next week and was looking for some confirmation here that it is indeed a problem with the compressor.

    Thanks
    If the compressor has no winding faults, such as short in an individual winding or a short in a winding to ground, and if the compressor can indeed compress the vapor properly, I'd be thinking of a hard start kit that has a potential relay, rather than the solid state PTCR so often a part of such kits.

    Of course, at this age, many residential units are ready for an upgrade to a more efficient design. Only you and your contractor can determine if your system is ready for a transplant.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    your wrong

    I had the same exact cap balloon up on my unit today
    I'm wrong that I am wrong??

    Or am I just wrong???


    I need a new signature.....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4
    The picture in "I_bend_metals" post is what was replaced in my unit. So that is the run cap and not the start cap?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,863
    Quote Originally Posted by btimms View Post
    The picture in "I_bend_metals" post is what was replaced in my unit. So that is the run cap and not the start cap?
    Correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event