I just had an energy audit done including a blower door test. The result was 1558. The contractor expected 1800-2000. So it seemed better than expected. He also mentioned a value of less than 603 would require mechanical ventilation. I was wondering for a 1962 built house that is 1250sft is 1558 a good number?
I was having the company do a quote on more attic insulation. They are quoting to do the following:
1. Insulate all attic area to a minimum of R50.
2. Air seal all penetrations and thermal bypasses, including but not limited to inner wall connectivity and mechanical, flue, electrical, and plumbing penetrations.
3. Seal all recessed fixtures by attaching and sealing insulated boxes from attic side.
4. Insure adequate soffit/attic communication by verifying proper soffit ventilation .
5. Build insulated/air sealed box over drop down stairs.
6. Air seal flue area with high temp caulk.
The cost was over 3 times higher than what I would expect to just have someone come in and blow insulation. Is all this sealing really worth it, or am I being taken for a ride? Thanks